Would appreciate advice on rebuilding 351W - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 13:36   #1 (permalink)

Would appreciate advice on rebuilding 351W

HI
I have a 1971 351W. I would like to rebuild it, but i dont want to spend an incredibly large amount. Like can i keep the block and work off of that. If so what should i be getting like crankshafts, Heads, etc. I also want to turn it to a 4bbl.

This 351w Runs good and everything, i would just like more power.

I would appreciate your advice.
reaper667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 17:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Would appreciate advice on rebuilding 351W

Sorry about the double post, but i just wanted to add that this engine is in a 71 Ford Ltd. 2-door. This car is quite large so im guessing its around 4000lb. This info might help on what i should get for the engine.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 17:56   #3 (permalink)

I'm a little confused. If I read this right, your willing to spring for a set of heads but want to avoid the block work? Chances are since the engine is running good that it wouldnt need much. You really should reconsider strapping a set of heads,cam and 4 bbl on an engine with a lot of miles. Have the machine shop at least check the crank and put in a new set of bearings. You may also want to throw in a set of pistons since the block will probably need to be bored. 30 over is pretty standard and usually gets all the cylinders round again. Then my advice would be to find an intake cam combo and a nice set of headers. You could also find a set of cast iron 4 bbl heads or throw down some bucks and get a set of aluminums. As it stands, you could get more power by putting the cam-intake combo on it like it is and run it until it gives up, or just do it all one time. Just an intake and a 600 Holley would make it run a little better. The Windsor is a really good engine with gobs of options. You know what they say..."Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?"
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23   #4 (permalink)

I haven't had anyone to look at it, i just wanted to make it a project. who could I go to to take a look at it and how much would it cost around. I dont know if i need new heads or new block, i was jsut stating heads, cam, etc. to see what you would think i need. The engine also has 97000 mileage on it.

As for power I dont want to take it to a drag strip mainly street use but would still like some power too it. what about 325-400HP around that mark.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57   #5 (permalink)

At 97,000 it will need a good overhauling. I did mine a couple years ago for 1800. New bearings, valve springs, .040 overbore, Edelbrock Performer cam, carby,& intake. Your 71 heads are better than the later heads. If you go with aluminium heads you'll have to up the comprssion ratio 1 point to compensate for loss of heat caused by the better heat conductivity of the aluminium.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 15:45   #6 (permalink)

Find a reputable machine shop and tell them what you have, the miles on it, and what you would like to do. They can give you a fairly good ball park figure on the work that needs done. You can shop around on sites like Summit Racing for intakes-cam combos. Read the specs on the cams before you buy one. They will also offer cam combos that have the proper springs, locks and lifters all in one. First thing you need to do is figure out what you intend to do with the car. Is it going to be a show car, a cruiser or a street/ strip car. There is a mountain of information from the users on this site. Use their experiences in your build. It will save you some headaches.
Old 04-10-2007, 16:18   #7 (permalink)

Anything to add a lot more torque. The car is a 2 door 71 LTD. BIg car with a small block. I wanna make the car a normal driver but I would also like to go to the Drag strip( maybe Once a month). Anything to make the car go around the 10 Sec mark @ 1/4m ( or a good drag time for a big car like this). Or should I find a scrap Big Block and rebuild that.
Old 04-10-2007, 16:44   #8 (permalink)

Torque! look at a stroker kit, could be the cheapest way out, but you still need to make it breath.....intake, carb., cam, exhaust, etc. expect to pay 3-4 thou!!! If you go big block make sure to get the tranny too!

.02, good luck, Dale
4dawudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:56   #9 (permalink)

What about adding a 427 Stroker kit to my 351w block and keeping the original heads, and changing the Intake to a strong 4 barrel or dual quad. How much power would that give.

or any other recommendations
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53   #10 (permalink)

427 cubes means you will loose a long life for your 351, it will give you more of what you are looking for, but not enough for 10's, THAT takes lots of power (like what was said, $$$$$$$) and you will need to address EVERY part of the package!!!

Dale
4dawudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech