XR8 220kw Engine Specs... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 03:46   #1 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

XR8 220kw Engine Specs...

I want to increase the kw in my NL Fairlane and to keep me and the insurance company happy, I believe it is best to just convert my engine to the XR8 220kw by getting the 220 parts. Now, what is the difference between my engine (165kw) and the 220kw XR8 engine?

Other questions:

I was going to get, but have held back on getting extractors because I only just found out that if you change the heads, you will need new extractors again (still learning). If I get the GT40Ps that I know thre XR8 has, will I need to change from the stock headers I have right now?

Also (even though it is not related to the engine as much), are there any other cheapish mods I can do to get more kw?

Lastly, when I take the car up to high revs and she changes gear, she pings badly during the gear change. This is usually when it is warm and it does not bother me in comparison to the time she pinged all the constantly. That was fixed by setting the timing back... Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Cheers.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 04:53   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: XR8 220kw Engine Specs...

The egr is supposed to come in and prevent this from happening..

Everything from heads and above neeeds changing.As well as cam shaft..But you can fit 1:72 ratio rockers with std cam..Look for around $5k.. Or buy a second hand 200kw Change cam to a 2030...Extractors will fit it's the accessabilty of plugs...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:20   #3 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

I am actually going to be looking for second hand parts for if I had $5k, I would be spending it on parts that are quite a bit better than the Ford ones... :|
Old 10-16-2003, 07:53   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Even with second hand parts, you will still find it hard to get to 220kw for under much $5k. Anyway, with the extractors, pacemakers & genies will fit on both the stock heads and the gt40p's, all you need is new spark plug leads with 90 degree ends. Stock headers will not fit on the gt40p's.

With the pinging, what is the timing set at and what petrol are you using. If you use premium unleaded you can generally get 4-6 degrees advanced without pinging, even with standard unleaded you can usually get 2-4 degrees advanced. Could be that the crank balancer has slipped a little giving false timing marks, quite a common problem.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Any ideas where I can get the heads? I already have (eagle) spark plug leads which have the 90 degree bends so that is no problem.

Seeing that it is going to be hard finding a 220kw engine with what I want, I think I will just get the heads, get extractors for them and then get Yella Terra roller rockers as well as a cam.
Old 10-16-2003, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I am pretty sure Herrod Motorsport is still selling the 220kw heads.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 23:37   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Depending on which extractors you get, you still might have clearance issues with right angle plug leads - depending on how deep they are.

I can't recall which pacemakers I have atm, but I had problems with leads touching them from the heads (have gt-40p's as well). The solution seems to be reversing the leads(!) Seems to work ok, and the dizzy ends of the leads are more compact and clear the exhaust nicely.

Of course it took me about 3 melted leads to work this out

And yes, the stock extractors will not fit gt-40p's (not without "modifications" to the extractors anyway (read oxy torch + hammer).

If you are doing the work yourself, give yourself lots of time and make sure you have all the tools at the ready (including psp puller and socket drive torx bit for the serpentine tensioner(T-25 I *think*)).

Also, while I'm not sure of the pricing, it might be worth investigating getting the inlet manifolds flowed a little while they are off. It won't be as nice as new/better ones - but it should be an improvement (after the head change the inlet manifolds will probably be the big bottle neck).

It sounds like we are basically going down the same line, next up for me is going to be a new maf to replace the tiny 55mm EL one . . .

Apart from herrods, you could also try City Ford in Melbourne,and Mick Webb of SVOMotorsport - it'll pay you to ring around . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 23:39   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Oh, and price *everything* before you start. I seriously under-estimated how much things were going to cost (forgot about lots of incidentals like head bolts, gaskets, plugs etc etc )

Oh, and finally to answer your original question I believe the difference between the 165 and 220 were

EEC programming (duh)
Exhaust
Cam
Heads (gt-40p)
Intake manifolds (Explorer - AU style)
MAF (70mm ? ?)
Throttle body (can't remember 220 size)

Last edited by XR8 Lamah; 10-16-2003 at 23:42.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:18   #9 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Thanks a lot XR8 Lameh! All of that information has already served to be an invaluable tool for my decision making...

Heads will be first but I will have to get some (maybe second hand) stock XR8 ones to fit the GT40Ps for now. I will look into flowing the inlet manifold depending on the cost. I will be getting a new set not that longer after the heads anyway! After that, I will look at roller rockers, decent extractors and cam. Extractors after the heads as I don't want to get extractors that only suit my current E7 heads.

From what I can see, there really isn't that much difference between my engine and a 220 which means I'll be there and over in no time! :D
Old 10-18-2003, 21:37   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

So If i get a set of pacemakers for an EL1 XR8 stock, then decide to change the heads down the track these extractors will still fit no problems?

If I'd need new extractors with new heads then I guess the exhaust would have to wait A WHILE.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech