XR8 engine swap over - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
Phil_This

XR8 engine swap over

Hi, ive got a EF fairmont ghia with the straight six, but how difficult would it be to fit a EF XR8 engine. Anyone who has achieved such swap, please reply.
Thanks.
Pro_Lo_EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 03:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR8 engine swap over

I've been looking to do this to my EF Fairmont for a while now. Pretty straight forward if you go about it the right way. In a nutshell you'll need the following major components:

1. Engine (obviously)
You can pretty much use any 5 Litre windsor from the EF/EL family. It might be possible to use an AU V8 but can't remember is any of the electronics differ. Even if they do, i don't imagine it would be too difficult to convert these specific components back to EF/EL ones.

2. Trans
The main guts of the auto in the 6 (93LE) is identical to the 8 (97LE), however the bellhousing and output shaft is different. Keep in mind the auto in the 8 is controlled by a seperate TCU (Transmission Control Unit) thats located on the side of the pedal box, whereas the TCU for auto in the 6 in integrated into the engines ECU.

I suppose the above really doesn't matter if you're converting to manual.

3. V8 Engine Harness and ECU
Being a Fairmont Ghia you'll also need a high series V8 engine harness and ECU. Replacing this involves removing the dash.. You'll also find that Ford don't sell these brand new so if you'll have to buy a smashed wreck or a conversion kit from a wrecker.

In addition to the above you'll need power steering lines, water hoses and everything else that i've forgotten to mention . Its a damn big job and it'll soak up more than a few $$.

Cheers,
Anth
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech