Ford Forums banner

XR8 Ignition upgrades/improvements?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  damage181 
#1 ·
Having yet done nothing to improving the ignition as yet, i was just wondering whether anyone tried a different coil or any other ignition improvements on their 5.0's/XR8's, and what was the result (good or bad).

I would be interested in prices too if you can remember, along with where you got it or anything else of interest.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the weblink, but each different manufacturer you look at reckon their stuff is the best and greatest, so what i was really after was some "real-life" experience on how a modified ignition system worked for them (i.e was there actually much of a gain from the expense).
So does anyone have any hands-on information ?

#4 ·
I run a lot of MSD Components in my car with great results.

#5 ·
Dont need all that crap, just a good set of leads and a realay on the coil so you get full voltage to the coil, check the standed voltage and check with the relay on it there is a big difference you:ll be amased !!!!!! thats my twobobbs worth....

#6 ·
sbutler said:
Dont need all that crap, just a good set of leads and a realay on the coil so you get full voltage to the coil, check the standed voltage and check with the relay on it there is a big difference you:ll be amased !!!!!! thats my twobobbs worth....
You will be suprised at the difference a quality aftermarket high performance ignition will make over and above a good standard one.

#8 ·
The stock ignition system on the XR8's is actually quite good. When I damaged my coil I replaced it with a Accel Performance coil which apparently produces 20% more power and I did notice a smoother idle. MSD ignition is suppose to be good, but quite expensive for the performance gains you will see.

#9 ·
I agree that a MSD or superdupa ignition system would improve performance over any Kettering ignition system or high performance engine i.e. big boost turbo/supercharged, racing fuels, hard to ignite fuels (LPG) or extreme rpm engine but I don’t think it would be worth the waste of money or time fitting a MSD etc to a mildly worked engine.

Only way to prove that it works is before and after dyno runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.