Yet another cam thread... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yet another cam thread...

My thread is a bit more specific though. I just want to know for the poeple who live in melbourne and have had a cam fitted to their windsor, who did it, how much did it cost, what brand of cam are you using, did you need 1.72 roller rockers aswell? I will definately do a cam upgrade after I get an exhaust first, but i don't think i could be fcuked fitting it myself.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Yet another cam thread...

I'm interested in this to Cobra, as I'd like to put a cam in mine as well to liven it up a little.any help would be good.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Hey Cobra,

Id go the crane 2031 cam which will require a set of 1.72 RR. Appears to best with the windsor if you ask me. Id get it professionally done unless you know what your doing as its pretty tricky. Any engine builder etc could fit it. Whens that exhaust getting done mate? Hopefully beofre the next heathcote run
Old 06-27-2004, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

There is a chance yours already has 1.6 roller rockers fitted. If so, consider keeping them and fitting the matched Crane 2030 cam. The 2030/1.6 combo has a bit crankier idle than the 2031/1.7 setup but also a wee bit better performance. In any case a ChipTorque unit can return any 'aggression' back to a stock feel.

I have the Crane 2031 and Crane 1.7RR setup and am very happy with it. For some reason these roller cam/roller rocker combos can be a little on the noisy side (compared to stock) based on both Crane and Yella Terra roller rockers I've seen used.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 23:17   #5 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

2031 would probably suit his auto better though.
EDXR8 had a good cam for sale he used with his auto, think he wanted $300 for it.
Old 06-28-2004, 00:40   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Thomas, I doubt the exhaust will be on by heathcote. If I'm lucky I might get a cat's back system by then, so at least I'll have something done, then go the extractors later. As with the cam, I have a fair idea what I'm doing, and I know a few mechanics too, but my only problem is I have no other mode of transportation. if I had that bike I always wanted and had another way to get to work I might have a crack at it fitting a cam.

Also guys, my car has done 164,000km. Is there a good change id need new valve springs and anything else? I would like a Cam that loses the least amount of bottom end. But I'll definately have a full exhaust (tri ys and twin 2.25 most likely) before go the cam.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:11   #7 (permalink)
need BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Is there a good change id need new valve springs and anything else?
Can't say from personal experience, but from most reports the standard valvetrain is crap. At least replace the springs, retainers and locks.

The standard springs seem to struggle with the original cam, let alone something witha more aggresive profile.

Most cams can be bought as a 'kit' that will include a matched set of springs, retainers, and locks. The better retainers and locks are lighter and stronger than standard which makes life easier on the spring...i.e. get good stuff if you can afford it.

You can get gear for changing the springs without needing to remove the cylinder heads which may save a few dollars.

DT
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

you mat get away with using the stock springs with just 1.72:1 roller rockers. But new ones would bee needed if runnung a decent cam, and could easily be done at the same time.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:43   #9 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

No question... new springs, retainers, seats are a must. Are you running an auto or T5?
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:06   #10 (permalink)

Definetly new springs etc. Obviously i too have the 1.72's and the 2031 and its good for 30rwkw odd rwkw with a chip and KN filter so far. Get the extractors at the same time or before the exhaust IMO. They are pathetic!!!! Also means that the exhaust guy can possibly rework the flange plate area on the rear of the extractor to maximise flow (mine had a diameter reduction just prior to the flange plate).
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech