Ford Forums banner

4.6 thermostat housing leaks 1998

10K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  misers 
#1 ·
Hello, I replaced the thermostat and o-ring a few weeks ago and have done so about
2 other times, but still get leaking. When I first noticed a leak I just decided to replace the thermostat while in there. I also put sealeant inbetween the housing and intake. The housing does not looked cracked. I just cant figure why this is becoming such a difficult issue.
I dont want to go to the dealer yet. F.Y.I. 1998 4.6 grand marquis.
thanks
art
hope you can help.

G
#2 ·
Check the "plastic" intake manifold for a crack...just replaced mine in our 97 grand marquis. Left me and my children stranded in the middle of never-never land. Ford recalled the police and fleet vehicles....just not the regular guys/gals like us! Class action filed in Alabama. Hope they win! fyi

#3 ·
Thanks for the info

Miser, I took a closer look (for the 3rd) time when I replaced the
housing and oring and noticed a crack with a bright light. Took it to the dealer, so they are replacing the intake. Luckly I had the extended warranty which expires aug 8th. I have heard about these cracking and did not see a recall for them. I will have to look into this suit in more detail. I'm sure it is inconvienent to get stranded especially when you have family with you. I figured mine would crack one day also. I originally cracked in may, but not bad enought to leave me stranded.
thanks for you info.
art

G
#4 ·
Good article with pictures of the plastic intake manifold:
http://www.lincolntowncar.org/repair/intakemanifold.html

Class Action Lawsuit Information:
http://subscript.bna.com/SAMPLES/pld.nsf/0/b7681c21fcb77bd185256ce60080184b?OpenDocument

If you are interested in all the other people having the same problem, go to www.carlounge.com. Click on "Bulletin Board", then "Carlounge", then click "Search" and type in with the quotes "intake manifold" - use the pull down menu to search "All dates". Amazing all the people with the same problem.

Anyway....sometimes it's nice to know you're not the only one in the boat! ;-)

Take care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.