4.6 upgrades - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2001, 21:12   #1 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

Lightbulb 4.6 upgrades

Well, after days of searching the net I have found a 4.6 stroker kit. Pretty spendy though. After some more research I have compiled a small list of blocks and heads that share the same numbers for 4.6 engines. Right now I am starting my research into making my own 4.6 stroker using a crank from a 5.4, shorter rods and different pistions. I am not aware at this point of the journal sizing for the cranks. So this will take some time and some convincing of the local dealerships to give me the information I will need. Or hopefully a wrecking yard will let me have a crank for a reasonable price. Today I stripped the block down to the bare essentials and plan to send it to the machine shop for boring. I am not sure if any of you folks are even remotely interested in building up your CV, but I will be keeping notes for my personal records if I ever decide to part with the car. On another note I recieved my AODE rebuild kit today. I would have been really miffed about how it was packaged had I not already planned to install a shift kit. Both the valve body gaskets were torn due to the way they were thrown in the bottom of the box and sealed in plastic. But since the shift kit comes with the same type of gaskets I'm not sweating it.
My car is a CVPI build date of 4-10-92. I guess in 92 there is two styles of engines that over lap and are configured as a two bolt or three bolt starter. If any one has any ideas aside from a supercharger or done engine internal upgrades any info would be greatly helpfull. Later all.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2001, 22:16   #2 (permalink)

crank update for stroking 4.6

Well a little research went along way this time. I found out that the 5.4 and 4.6 both share the same piston specs this is taken from a 93 cv 4.6 and a 98 f-150 5.4. Both have the 90.2mm bore same size rings. here it is
Hypereutectic; 90.2mm Bore; Std.; (2) 1.50mm & (1) 3.00mm Ring Grooves; 1.215" Comp. Distance; Recessed Head .152" Deep x 2.70" Dia.; VIN W; SOHC 4.6L

Cast; 2-1.50mm, 1-3.00mm Ring Groove; 1.210" CD; .866" Pin Dia.; Recessed Head .068" Deep x 2.700" Dia; Skirt Coated 5.4L

Ok so now check out the dohc specs
Hypereutectic; 90.2mm Bore; Std.; (2) 1.50mm & (1) 3.00mm Ring Grooves; 1.2145" Comp. Distance; Recessed Head .060" Deep x 2.68" Dia.; VIN V; DOHC

Ok so as you can see in the 4.6 and 5.4 differences is the comp. distance is .005" difference and in the Recessed head is .084" different. This would tell me the crank has a longer stroke. By the way the part number for the pistons are the same. So no odd skirting issue to deal with. How ever I am concerned about clearancing the block for stroking

Now for the other thing the 5.4 and 4.6 share the same main bearing kit in the dohc but the sohc seams to have a different part number hence different size. I will be going to the local parts store tomorrow and consulting the book to find out what the size is. At this point a future discussion of the advantages of dohc or modified sohc is a good one. Dohc deffinately has the shock factor!!
Old 12-15-2001, 22:47   #3 (permalink)

update

So the 5.4 and 4.6 share the same rod bearings, sealed power part number but the mains are different part numbers.
Old 12-15-2001, 23:04   #4 (permalink)

Read piston specs

Well the piston specs may shed some light on things. I over looked the fact that the part numbers for the pistons are different from the two engines which explains the small differences. I would be curious to know if it has to do with the type of reliefs in the top of the piston. So now it is down to stroke and piston as a make up for the bigger engine. I thought just the crank seemed odd.
Old 12-16-2001, 14:31   #5 (permalink)
Mod/Crown Vic Cruiser

I am going to move this to the Crown Vic Technical and Performance forum.

Jonathan
Old 12-17-2001, 23:00   #6 (permalink)

Smile update

Well after some phone calls I found out a few things. First off there is very few companies that make pistions for the 4.6 because of the bore size. The one that do run from 600 bucks and up. Alot more than I wanted to spend for pistons. Also the 4.6 and 5.4 are identical with the exception of rod length, crank stroke and deck hieght. So there went that Idea unless I come up the the 2000 bucks for the custom kit. But thanks to the ford probe Guys I found out that the pinto has a bore very close to the 3.55 bore ours has. So we all know that there is a readily supply of pinto forged crap dirt cheap so that will be my new route come tomorrow. I located a shop to do the boring at 12 bucks a hole. And on a side not I located a 3000 mile lincoln towncar 32v engine, complete with computer for the unheard of price of 850 bucks. Oh, be so jealous, Don't worry after I pick mine up I will release the name of the place and you will all be in hog heaven. There is plenty to go around. But don't get to excited, the town car engine is only rated at 275hp and uses the same cast crank and rods as ours but an aluminium block. So unfortunately the crank is only good up to 400hp. So the cobra crank would have to be installed which cost 1600 bucks, so is it worth it. I think so but 400hp is good enough for me, no steal crank needed for now.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:53   #7 (permalink)

engine update

After some looking the dohc pistons are so close to flat tops they were the ones to go with. They are not forged but at this point in time I really don't plan on making any 1/4 mile passes. My engine is now just waiting for the gaskets to arrive which they were suppose to be here today but were not. So that is holding me up. I ported and polished the heads and can't wait to see how they act. I completed the modifications on my air intake housing to relocate the AIT to it so I can put the conical filter on when the engine is back in. I finished up my tranny and unfortunately currently waiting for some replacement parts from ford. I broke the ones that came with the kit, and have decided that I will just take these small parts to the a shop to have them put on. The tail shaft seal is giving huge trouble and my seal driver is not working one bit. I think I'm just going to have to press it in. At this point my shift kit is still in limbo, I'm hoping it will appear as well. I will be starting my air ride soon that will be a whole other post.
Old 01-05-2002, 17:09   #8 (permalink)

enines back in

Well, my gaskets finally arrived and I put my engine back to gether. Unfortunately I dropped one of my injectors and broke the tip of it. 52 bucks down the drain, oh, well, could have been worse. So to day I dropped the engine back in and reassembled all the vitals. The tranny is still sitting on the stand waiting for ford to come up with a pump shaft seal. For some reason they had sent only one. But I have most of next week off so it's not really a big deal. I think my the people on the block were astonished to see me dropping the engine back in the car. So far no complaint letters have come so that's a good sign. I hope to have the tranny back in this week but that would depend on ford.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:42   #9 (permalink)
Mod/Crown Vic Cruiser

Cool

Jonathan
Old 01-11-2002, 20:54   #10 (permalink)

When it rains it pours. I was working on installing the new stator seals when low and behold the stator rolled off the bench and onto my engine hoist. At first glance I thought it only damaged one of the seals but apon a second look it crushed the outer most seal channel. One stator for the scrap heap. I can not tell you how dissapointing this was. But because of this simple mistake which caused me to find a scrap tranny caused me to come across the upgrade I have listed seperately. So with the tranny together it's back in the car. I have been a little to busy at work this week to take the thing off the stands and try it out. I can't wait to see how the head porting did. So till then fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech