4.6L Oil pressure erratic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 17:16   #1 (permalink)

Question 4.6L Oil pressure erratic

1995 Tbird with 4.6L SOHC 133,000 miles I've put the last 70K on her myself. Used 10W30 synthetic always. Engine uses 1/2 qt. every 3000 miles. Noticed lots of lifter noise last week @ morning start-up. Noted oil pressure lower than "n" in "norm". (Usually stays right at the "r") Drove it anyway. Problem persisted for a couple of days, then, the reading went back to the "r". Started-up OK this morning, then, this afternoon, same low oil pressure problem / noise. Pressure came back up after about 2 hours of driving.
Question: Where is the oil pressure regualtor/relief located? Is in in the Oil Filter adapter (like was done on the small block chevy?) I had one of those get stuck once and cause the same problem. Any other Ideas? With this many miles on the engine, I'll replace it before before spending alot of time (and money) doctoring a real problem. Thanks!
Stepchild01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2004, 18:06   #2 (permalink)
DOHC 5.4 Racer

Re: 4.6L Oil pressure erratic

The oil pump is bolted to the front main bulkhead. The crankshaft goes through the pump ( like alot of jap engines) The relief valve is on the side of the pump. It requires dissasembling the front of the engine to gain access. It's rare for a valve to stick. You may have big problems brewing. Also...If the stock guage is like the US versions..It is a "Idiot guage" The sender is the same as a idiot light. (On or off) If it has 5# oil pressure the guage reads normal.
Old 06-20-2004, 23:40   #3 (permalink)

Re: 4.6L Oil pressure erratic

Just a thought .. Have you recently done an oil change.. you might have a bad filter. I think there is a bypass at the filter (I could be wrong) using too heavy of an oil can jam the bypass when revved cold. I have heard of filters being blown off when cold with 20-50. You might want to pull the pan and check for sludge or anything else that might clog your pump intake.

Last edited by Mojave Explorer; 06-21-2004 at 00:12. Reason: added information
Mojave Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech