Ford Forums banner

4.6L Oil pressure erratic

15K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mojave Explorer 
#1 ·
1995 Tbird with 4.6L SOHC 133,000 miles I've put the last 70K on her myself. Used 10W30 synthetic always. Engine uses 1/2 qt. every 3000 miles. Noticed lots of lifter noise last week @ morning start-up. Noted oil pressure lower than "n" in "norm". (Usually stays right at the "r") Drove it anyway. Problem persisted for a couple of days, then, the reading went back to the "r". Started-up OK this morning, then, this afternoon, same low oil pressure problem / noise. Pressure came back up after about 2 hours of driving.
Question: Where is the oil pressure regualtor/relief located? Is in in the Oil Filter adapter (like was done on the small block chevy?) I had one of those get stuck once and cause the same problem. Any other Ideas? With this many miles on the engine, I'll replace it before before spending alot of time (and money) doctoring a real problem. Thanks!

#2 ·
The oil pump is bolted to the front main bulkhead. The crankshaft goes through the pump ( like alot of jap engines) The relief valve is on the side of the pump. It requires dissasembling the front of the engine to gain access. It's rare for a valve to stick. You may have big problems brewing. Also...If the stock guage is like the US versions..It is a "Idiot guage" The sender is the same as a idiot light. (On or off) If it has 5# oil pressure the guage reads normal.

#3 · (Edited)
Just a thought .. Have you recently done an oil change.. you might have a bad filter. I think there is a bypass at the filter (I could be wrong) using too heavy of an oil can jam the bypass when revved cold. I have heard of filters being blown off when cold with 20-50. You might want to pull the pan and check for sludge or anything else that might clog your pump intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.