5.4 no start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 06:26   #1 (permalink)

mad 5.4 no start

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2006 f150 4x4 5.4L. Didn't get the real story on it. So, here goes. It appears that the truck had been swamped. It also appears the engine was replaced. Very slow cranking. Seems like its off time. Found that the fuse panel was replaced with a 2005, had no power to the injectors. Pin missing. Replaced panel. Ok. No power to #5 coil, pin bent in ECM. Repaired. Pulled lh vc and checked timing marks. Crank at 6:00, right cam at R^12:00 left cam R^ 1:00. Appears that the left cam is my culprit. Tomorrow I'm pulling the front cover and rechecking everything. From what I can find online, I should have crank at 6:00, right cam the R at 11:00 and the left cam the L at 1:00.
Basically, I don't know what has been done to this engine, but it appears someone was messing with it at some point. Feel free to ask me for more info if you think you can help me.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited by Super Duty Guy; 11-25-2013 at 06:39. Reason: Mistake
Super Duty Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 5.4 no start

From what I remember the timing mark are not straight up. If you have the cover off there is different colored marks on the chain to use for timing. It should at least fire if it jumped somehow. I would look elsewhere until out of options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19   #3 (permalink)

Removed the front cover and rechecked the marks. Turned out the right cam was 180• out. Rolled cam, confirmed timing and assembled. Started right away. Someone who didn't know what they were at was messing with it at some point.
Super Duty Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech