Ford Forums banner

5.4l xf project

10K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  XRQTOR 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at putting a BA 5.4l motor and gearbox into an xf falcon. I am after advice on any potential problems that I may come across besides the RTA. I have heard that the sump may need to be modified? Will the motor and gearbox fit in without any mod's to the engine bay; do the engine mounts need to be extended? Any hints/tips help.

#3 ·
what about fly by wire throttle? and all the othe computer stuff? hows it gonna fit in? where ya gonna get a motor from? how ya gonna get it roadworthy? many things to consider, but if u do succeed... ud be a bloody champ :hy: u got yourself a big project there!!! :p good luk anyway!

#7 ·
www.suburbanimports.com.au they had a 4.6 ltr quad cammer for $8900. hope youv'e got deep pockets. Remember these engines have been around for a while in North America now. Older ones should have a conventional throttle cable and an aftermarket ecu is easy enough to install. Clearances ( and approval ) will be your biggest drama.

#8 ·
mate if u do it, good on ya, just looking at a BA V8 and and a xf engine bay, u'll have to get that notch kit that ford muscle suggested, definetely custom engine mounts, new sump, its a lot of work but if u do it good luck with it champ.

#9 ·
i thought 'xf freak' was the owner of the white XR6 XF, ehehe
similar username...

#17 ·
jeez theres some knockers on here :p

the xf would have more room in the bay, then the au/ba, the 4.6lt fitted in, just, as does the 5.4 into the au/ba with no shock tower mods to the au floor pan,

the xf is wider across the strut towers then the au/ba, and thats the main sticking point.

it will fit in nicley.

you would need to carry over all the emissions gear from the ba,

custom engine mounts, custom gearbox mount and extractors will be needed to make it fit, as will a custom tailshaft. with the throttle, a conventional, cable opperated item could be fitted, but this would only need to be done if you went with out the ba ecu, but to comply with rego, you would have to install the ba v8 ecu.

the biggest problem is the price of the engine, being some 12k from ford.

ur best bet is to find a written off ba v8, but good luck to you on that one.

i seriously hope someone will be trying this soon.

cheers.joe.

#18 · (Edited)
hes only made 3 posts think it died in the ass and lost on the forum.

think theres not many xfs around with $12000 engines mines was up to $5000 351clevo and thats to much for most.

have to think of the other costs exhaust bonnet clearence and maybe other thing that may go wrong so save more money me thinks.

hes also thinking of a 460ci lots of idea`s hope he desides

quote xf freak
What would it cost and take to put a 460 into an xf sedan? What could I expect the power to be keeping with in the emission laws when running unleaded and an efi system? Am I only dreaming, I hope not. What sort of cost and what would be the best gearbox be to handle the power?

Last edited by xf freak : 04-03-2004 at 08:55.

#19 ·
BA 5.4 in an XF would be an excellent Pro Tourer idea. Well, here's a little idea I had when I read this thread. Get a Boss 290 V8 from a GT, a Tremec TR3650 5spd manual, and a 3.45:1 LSD 9" diff. Put that all in there. Get the GT's 18x8.0" wheels, fit them, the GT's brake package and steal its seats for the interior, but keep the old XF dash. Get some FPV and GT badges, and yeah, XF FPV GT. Something like that would cost around as much as a new FPV GT-P with all the options though, but I think it'd pretty cool.

#22 ·
You could build a 5.4L mod motor from parts sourced from the states. The lightning runs a s/c 5.4, have a read through corral.net you should fine nearly everything required motor wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.