5.4sohc V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 12:55   #1 (permalink)

5.4sohc V8

Hello fellow Ford freaks,

I recently bought a BA MkII Falcon XT SR, but this is no ordinary falcon. The Falcon was a dealer special order. It is fitted with a a 5.4 SOHC V8 and Tremec 5 Speed manual. What makes it unusual is that it's a SR Falcon and a V8. Which meant that I got the body kit, 17" Wheels, leather wheel, 6 Stacker and Sports IRS. When you add it all up, it's a great package. I know it's unfair to say it's a poor mans XR8, but in many ways it is, minus the badges and 30Nm torque. I see the new BF 5.4SOHC now has an extra 30Nm, and 10KW, mainly due to an extra knock sensor they say and more agressive ignition timing. Check the BF range and you won't find the manual option in the XT. Only the 6speed Automatic.

Is it possible to upgrade my BAMkII V8 to BF Specs?? Would it be just adding the knock sensor and flashing the computer?

I'd like to know.

Cheers

Ford King
FordKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: 5.4sohc V8

The BF also has a better exhaust and it also has been upgraded to Euro III spec, which means extra sensors for emissions control. You would be better off getting a new exhaust and a custom tune done on it rather than converting to BF spec, with nothing but a good set of extractors and a matching exhaust it will make more extra power than the 10 kw the BF has. The BA 220 basically uses a very restrictive 6 cylinder exhaust.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17   #3 (permalink)
Lab Rat

All BA XT V8 come standed with 17" wheels and Faimont sports IRS.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:49   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
The BF also has a better exhaust and it also has been upgraded to Euro III spec, which means extra sensors for emissions control. You would be better off getting a new exhaust and a custom tune done on it rather than converting to BF spec, with nothing but a good set of extractors and a matching exhaust it will make more extra power than the 10 kw the BF has. The BA 220 basically uses a very restrictive 6 cylinder exhaust.

Thanks BOSSXR8, i appreciate it. Thank you for the advice. I had the chance to test my SR V8 against two XR6 Turbos recently. The result put a big smile on my face!

Ford King
Old 03-20-2006, 12:15   #5 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

My son has one the same car as yours. We have done a twin cat back exhaust, K&N filter, & home made CAI. His car runs in the high 13s on the Gtech. We have run against many XR8s with great results. Put it this way, forget the BF spec there is only minimal gain's. The 5.4 3 valve is a very untapped engine & respons very well to the smallest of mods.
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 13:49   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noboss
My son has one the same car as yours. We have done a twin cat back exhaust, K&N filter, & home made CAI. His car runs in the high 13s on the Gtech. We have run against many XR8s with great results. Put it this way, forget the BF spec there is only minimal gain's. The 5.4 3 valve is a very untapped engine & respons very well to the smallest of mods.

Good choice Noboss!
I had a chat to a friend in Sydney who has a few close friends at Ford, and he said that not many were made. Maybe 18-20, with only a couple distributed to each state. I bet your sons car sounds a lot different now?? :)
Home made CAI?? Sorry mate, not sure what this is?

Have you heard about John Bowe's performance parts?? Check out his website. The XR6 Turbo that I raced pulled about a half a car length in front of me over about 200-300 metres, I can tell you he wasn't pulling away as the V8 started to wind up. Not bad considering my car was full with passengers! The XR6 turbo driver was a bit shocked until he realised it wasnt a standard Xt SR.

Thanks for your help Noboss. Great to hear from you.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:13   #7 (permalink)

CAI is cold air induction. Very good gains from this simple mod..

Yeah have seen the John Bowe range, I dont use any of that sort of stuff, as you will soon find, its very over priced just like the Herrod stuff, with very little gain in performance.
There are many other places you can go to & get a better product for a much better price. Your paying for the name thats all.

My sons V8 is for sale now as he needs a 4X4 for his job, so someone will be getting themself's a very unique car thats been well sorted in both handling & performance. If I had the money Id buy it, there is so much untapped performance in them. But the misses wont let me have two toys in the shed.
Street machine Feb 2002
Motor mag Jan 2002

Old 03-29-2006, 11:23   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noboss
CAI is cold air induction. Very good gains from this simple mod..

Yeah have seen the John Bowe range, I dont use any of that sort of stuff, as you will soon find, its very over priced just like the Herrod stuff, with very little gain in performance.
There are many other places you can go to & get a better product for a much better price. Your paying for the name thats all.

My sons V8 is for sale now as he needs a 4X4 for his job, so someone will be getting themself's a very unique car thats been well sorted in both handling & performance. If I had the money Id buy it, there is so much untapped performance in them. But the misses wont let me have two toys in the shed.
Thanks NoBoss! Of course it is. With winter on the way it will certainly make a difference.

What other brands would you recommend?

It's a shame the car has to go to another family, how much is he asking for it?
What sort of suspension work is done to it?

Cheers

FordKing
Old 03-29-2006, 12:34   #9 (permalink)

He need s $25000 for it.
The suspention has the XR8 shocks King springs & fpv bushers.
This is who you need to talk too.http://www.aussiecar.com/ Ask for Craige.
This mob know how to get the 3 valve really going !!!
They do the kit...
Street machine Feb 2002
Motor mag Jan 2002

Old 03-30-2006, 17:28   #10 (permalink)

Just be careful with all the mods on the 3v V8- the manual transmission sitting behind it is only rated to about 480Nm and this is why the manual V8 is now no longer an option- 500Nm of torque. Torque ratings found on the tremec website if you don't believe me...
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech