Ford Forums banner

AV to have 4.6 or 5.4?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  aston 
#1 ·
We all know that the the AV Te-Series and or GT/GTHO will (proabably???) utilise a 5.4 Quad Cam 32 Valve V-8 but what are peoples preferences for the standard V-8 in the lower spec models and XR8?

Would people prefer to have a 4.6 DOHC 32 Valver or the rumoured 5.4 SOHC 24 Valver?

In a way I think it would be great to have a 4.6 that beats the standard Gen III (as it does with the Mustang compared to Monaro CV8) and leave people to think that they can get even more performance with increase in capacity to 5.4.... a bit like the old days of the 302 and 351.

#3 ·
I think Ford will go with the 5.4l

The 4.6l is too close in capacity to the I6 at 4.0l (or will it be 4.2l?)

Also the 5.4 is still smaller than the GenIII at 5.7 - with more(?) power. This will be important to some people who equate fuel effeciency with capacity - "but dear it is only a 5.4l but it has more power than their 5.7l, V8's don't really use that much more fuel you know now that they have Multi Point Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection, Quad Cams, 32 valves blah blah blah...."

#6 ·
In a way I would like to see the 4.6L be used as the 5.4L in the T-series would look like more of a significant upgrade. At the same time the 4.6L doesnt have much torque at all which is a necessity in a V8.
The mustang pushes peak power of 240kw yet it only has 430 nm of torque. 5 less than the 220kw XR8. So the 4.6L motor doesnt exactly have that much more torque than the 6 and wouldnt if you pushedthe same peak power out of the 6 the power/Torque ratio would be better for the 6.
So I guess the most Viable option would be the singe and double OHC 5.4L V8s be used and Maybe even a 6.0L stroker for the GT/GTHO.

Definately NO SUPERCHARGER for a GT/GTHO. Sure, bring the Mustang with a supercharger, put a Turbocharger on the IL6 (thats a Must!) but keep our top of the range 8's natually aspirated.
If you want it supercharged go talk to herrod.

#7 ·
Yeah, what FM and DR XR said. 5.4 litre in different specs of tune for the various models. This way we'd get the torque we're after without any effort. And yes, DOHC would be preferable. More performance scope!
The GT with a 5.8 litre...how good would that be! mmm 351:s6:
Russell.

#8 ·
The 5.4 would be nice,in different specs across the range.The new 4.6 supercharged 390hp would be good in a designated edition,and maybe the 6.0 V12 or 6.8 V10 could be used in a limited run of a high performance special editions,to keep the General honest.:s2:

#9 ·
I hear the calls for 5.8 litres (351 ci)

A way to achieve that is add two cylinders on to the 4.6 litre V-8.

The 6.8 litre V-10 has the same bore and stroke dimmensions as the 5.4 litre V-8....so with the same Bore and Stroke ratio's of the 4.6 (281 ci) in a V-10 package gives you a 5.8 litre (351 ci) V-10....

Just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.