BA XR8 Stumble starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 03:41   #1 (permalink)

mad BA XR8 Stumble starting

Has anyone come across a problem (and a fix hopefully ) when starting from cold, the BOSS misses runs very roughly, goes away when hot, but performance is just pathetic!!!

Fuel economy has blown out from 12.5-13.3 aroung town ( which is fantastic) to 18-20 l per 100 km( which only makes the pertol companies happy), so I know something is wrong.

Is thsi injector spark or combination. It has been flashed with new ecu update a fortnight ago, runs ok then has a fit.

Any thoughts??
NOBOUNDARIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004, 03:44   #2 (permalink)
rod

Re: BA XR8 Stumble starting

is the car standard or have you done a few mods to it

regards
rod
Old 06-08-2004, 03:46   #3 (permalink)

Standard, no mods at all
Old 06-08-2004, 03:55   #4 (permalink)
rod

might be worth a trip back to the dealer
get them to check the reflash first

regards
rod
Old 06-08-2004, 04:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Rod, it is booked infor next week, which is a concern I have heard that this fault could do damage. The delear assures me its covered if it disintergrates! I think I am more concerned!!!We have had 4 reflashes and a new ecu so far. Initally they said they found a fault on pot 7, but never elaborated.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:10   #6 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

my ute when i start it in the morning when its cold i get a noise that sounds like the drive belt slipping only for one second as the engine kicks into life?only happened after i got the ss cai.also some times i notice it doesnt run as good as other days?
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:24   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBOUNDARIES
Fuel economy has blown out from 12.5-13.3 aroung town ( which is fantastic) to 18-20 l per 100 km( which only makes the pertol companies happy), so I know something is wrong.
Havent experienced those start up problems but I have experienced your fuel consumption. I was averaging 22L/100km around town consistantly whether I use PULP or ULP. I drive it pretty hard though. On the weekend I changed my engine oil from Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50 to Castrol R 5w-30 and the computer now tells me I'm averaging 19.5L/100kms....but I've only runned it a couple of days with the new oil.

I've always thought the fuel consumption problem was my right foot...but if you find anything different please let me know.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:54   #8 (permalink)
BOS-54L

well if you had 12.5 -13 l/100 around town then there was something wrong with your car 18-20 l/100 sounds normal.there is no way u got 12.5-13l/100 around town unless your really soft on the accelerator which i can't do.
depends how new your car is, mine was doing the cold rough idle for about the first 7500kms after second oil change at 7500kms it stop but fuel consumption remains the same, full tank by 280-300kms it is crying for petrol ( 80 km reminder soon time to fill up) on the freeway it is a dream, low 10 l/100 and with ac on
Old 06-08-2004, 15:25   #9 (permalink)

if ones concern was fuel maybe a proton would be the go!
its simple drive these bosses hard when low then fill up again.
cheers.
Old 06-09-2004, 00:41   #10 (permalink)

Rest assured the consumption is not the issue, merely an indicator that things are not normal. Yes hard to believe the economy has been excellent, and does not change, which is why and its admitted as being an interesting fault, but not unheard of. I guess one can have the performance with economy. Interesting to note that when driven hard it has not gone north of 15's, ever.

Speaking to the servicing dealer this morning they are going to check plugs and the "on plug" coil. They need it cold, so overnight stay is required. They are leaning towards a plug.

Given we know what a misfires can do, I think it is best to be resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech