Ford Forums banner

Better than underdrive pulleys

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  chrispy 
#1 ·
All this talk of the massive benefits of underdrive pulleys begs the question of whether we can easily go to the obvious next step.

ie. Get rid if the belt all together for drag strips etc.

I am assuming the alternator, air conditioning do not need to be driven for short runs. The water pump could be driven by other means (e.g. electrical) or as the only item if necessary.

Should lead to a greater release of "wasted power".

Has anyone tried this ?. Obviously not much use for normal road use unless you do not mind charging your battery every day.

#2 ·
Definitely don't need a/c, if you've got efi I don't think it would like the alternator to be MIA regardless that the battery will power it all for 1min and as you say the water pump is essential. You could get a different length belt to bypass the a/c (perhaps try the alt). Might free up a couple of hp I suppose. What sort of car are you talking about?

#4 ·
Don't need the power steering pump if you're going in a straight line! Ohh that's right, you gotta to a 180 to get into the return lane, doh!

#5 ·
colbourne said:
All this talk of the massive benefits of underdrive pulleys begs the question of whether we can easily go to the obvious next step.

ie. Get rid if the belt all together for drag strips etc.

I am assuming the alternator, air conditioning do not need to be driven for short runs. The water pump could be driven by other means (e.g. electrical) or as the only item if necessary.

Should lead to a greater release of "wasted power".

Has anyone tried this ?. Obviously not much use for normal road use unless you do not mind charging your battery every day.
Take the seats out...........alloy diff centre............trans brake 4000 stall....................drop the pipes.............tubbed rear end............

the question is, where do you stop?

#6 ·
The Yanks sell a short serpintine belt that only goes around the water pump and alternator, and crank. Because our accesories arrangementis different, I don't think they fit our cars. They are like US$10 and take 30 seconds to change at the track. The improvement "bang for your buck" wise is very good.

They also believe going to a slightly colder thermostat will help to.

Chrispy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.