Ford Forums banner

Boss 260

19K views 91 replies 31 participants last post by  rod c 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

We know the BA XR-8 is 260kw. Does anyone know what it is at the rear wheels?
Also if one was going to do some simple mods to get the best bang for buck what would be suggested? I assume exhaust and intake, I looked at the Herrods site but they dont really go into much detail. Can anyone recommend anything/anyone else?

#27 ·
Rod. I didnt have to cut anything. I ordered the pre drilled housing...its part of the 400 bucks. I still have my original air box in tact.

as for the gains...i think its just personal expectation. I have spoken to a couple of xr8 owners with SS induction and our feelings concur.

Personally, again this is a personal view only, i wouldnt spend more than what I spent on it.

#28 ·
Go the blower kit for bang for buck! 490 odd rwhp with stock exhaust an no intercooler!! Just blower an unichip i think!

#29 ·
flavze said:
Go the blower kit for bang for buck! 490 odd rwhp with stock exhaust an no intercooler!! Just blower an unichip i think!
thats right flavze but they also changed the cats the rest of exhaust and headers were stock....

#33 ·
fullthrottle said:
Rod. I didnt have to cut anything. I ordered the pre drilled housing...its part of the 400 bucks. I still have my original air box in tact.

as for the gains...i think its just personal expectation. I have spoken to a couple of xr8 owners with SS induction and our feelings concur.

Personally, again this is a personal view only, i wouldnt spend more than what I spent on it.
fullthrottle, I think the Battens air induction is more practical for country trips with dust, insects, etc but maybe you lose the air ram effect with the smaller mouth....... What do you think XRFPV8?

#34 ·
rod c said:
fullthrottle, I think the Battens air induction is more practical for country trips with dust, insects, etc but maybe you lose the air ram effect with the smaller mouth....... What do you think XRFPV8?
yes rod having a wide mouth does require you to clean more often, but if you want the performance more air the better, at Calder on Friday nite every BA V8 i looked at had the SS cold air induction, best value for money = k/watts.. i see Cappa are selling them for $395....

#36 ·
rod c said:
XRFPV8, do you know how much the SS gains in KWs at the wheels for a XR8?
SS inductions say 13kw on there web site, but this is 1 mod you feel through your pedal if you use a BMC filter, not just performance but better fuel economy too..

#37 ·
Can some more people quote stock rwkw figures please.

#38 ·
I asked this in another thread. I think a couple of XR8 owners got around 200rwkw on the stock BA XR8. Sounds like a good figure to do baseline comparisons with.

However, I have been told, this changes by quite a bit once you hit 15,000 - 20,000kms on the clock.

#39 ·
rod c said:
After saying that, you might need the larger mouth intake if the filter is half blocked with rubbish on a trip..... Maybe that is where the air ram effect is needed.

#40 ·
fullthrottle said:
how do you hide a blower from insurance?
RACV accepts intake...but....blower.... they would blow it out of ur @ss!!

If only.......
Well when ya get down to it, a blower is really only a fancy intake setup!! :angel:

#42 ·
I'd like to see some dyno charts comparing the types of cold air intakes against each other (standard, SS, Herrods and Battens). I'd also like to see the types of filters (standard, K&N and BMC) compared.

#44 ·
Did a little experiement today.

I have been driving with the Battens air intake with the BMC filter for the last week or so. Today I took the BMC filter out and fitted the stock filter back in to see if I could feel any difference.

The difference I noticed when going backwards was a lot more than what I felt when going forwards (i.e. going from stock filter to bmc).

The car did not want to rev as hard and quick, also it didnt sound as throaty. So there is definately a difference between the type of filter you use for these boss 260s, in my opinion.

I also noticed that the engine runs really hot. Left my car in the driveway for a couple of hours the other EVENING (around 8pm), came back to check the oil level... and the engine bay was still hot. I'm gonna buy some heat wraps for the intake tubes to see if that makes any difference. Only about $30...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.