Ford Forums banner

Boss 260

19K views 91 replies 31 participants last post by  rod c 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

We know the BA XR-8 is 260kw. Does anyone know what it is at the rear wheels?
Also if one was going to do some simple mods to get the best bang for buck what would be suggested? I assume exhaust and intake, I looked at the Herrods site but they dont really go into much detail. Can anyone recommend anything/anyone else?

#53 ·
Just got mine fitted this morning. It is blue too. Was hoping for silver, for the stealth look, and plus my car is RED. Oh well. :1poke:

Only got to go around the block so far but it seems pretty cool. Has that sound at mild throttle too, which is pretty cool. Let the learning of the ECU commence!!

#57 ·
Geeeeeeeeees $280........ I assume that's fitted.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that is so tempting...................

I remember it was about 6rwkw gain ey?

Is that 6rwkw after your piggyback chip has been adjusted to compensate for the mod? Or is it bolt on and off you go 6rwkw?

You guys are a bad influence.. :eek:/

#59 ·
fullthrottle said:
Geeeeeeeeees $280........ I assume that's fitted.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that is so tempting...................

I remember it was about 6rwkw gain ey?

Is that 6rwkw after your piggyback chip has been adjusted to compensate for the mod? Or is it bolt on and off you go 6rwkw?

You guys are a bad influence.. :eek:/
Mate... i'ts a great little mod.... I wish there were more in this price bracket.

$/kw... doesn't get any better... plus you get a horn spooling up wizz....

trust us.....

that clean driving record of yours will soon be a distant memory.... lol

#61 ·
#62 ·
Fitted the Battens Cold Air today. Happy with the results, although it is very hot here at atm there is a noticeable differance in power delivery. Easy to fit, no cutting or modifying needed and as fullthrottle said I wouldn't spend any more on this type of mod..... Barry is a good bloke to deal with to. His service and genuine interest, you can't fault.

#63 ·
rod c said:
Fitted the Battens Cold Air today. Happy with the results, although it is very hot here at atm there is a noticeable differance in power delivery. Easy to fit, no cutting or modifying needed and as fullthrottle said I wouldn't spend any more on this type of mod..... Barry is a good bloke to deal with to. His service and genuine interest, you can't fault.
I saw the Battens Cold air today on another FF members car, its a very neat and unobtrusive setup. Let us know your thoughts after a few days of running.

Hopefully that Queensland weather breaks so you get to taste some cold air mate...

#64 ·
Guys.

Just been reading through this thread, and thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

Cold Air Induction........ Air Filter...........

Cold Air Induction.
You will be lucky to see some or if any, gains on the dyno from running a cold air intake alone. If you do, the readings will be very low. The Ram Effect as mentioned earlier, is only valid when the air speed into the intake is in excess of approx 130kph (by memory, I think it's even higher). The ducted fan placed in front of the car during a dyno, does not push air speeds that quick, so the ram effect of the Cold Air Intake is pretty much nil. Where you will gain and notice this mod, is when you actually drive the car at those speeds or above. The cars response will be sharper (due to the air getting rammed into the intake instead of being sucked in)! Also, the intakes are usually feed from the outer most point of the car, eliminating hot air from under the bonnet.

Air Filters!!!!
If the cars standard air filter is restrictive (which most are), or the opening into the air box is too small (some are), this will throttle back on the amount of intake air the car is trying to suck in! An aftermarket air filter is usually the first place you will find intake increases, due to the fact that air passes more freely through these filters! This is a gain that will show up on the dyno. An easy way to tell if you have a restrictive intake, is put your car on the dyno and run it, then pull your airbox cover off your airbox, and run it again. The increase you get (if there are some) will help you justify if you need to update the standard intake/air filter set up! And that second figure you obtain on the dyno is what your approx. going to get if you upgrade your intake.
People will usually hear the 'intake hiss' when the car is running, after they have changed the standard Air Filter. This goes to show that it was fairly restricted in the first place, if this is the case!

I can't remember the size of the 5.4 airbox intake hole. I chopped mine a month or so ago to accommodate the SS induction. By memory, I think it was small (for the 5.4ltr motor that is). Unfortuntely, I didn't put this car on the dyno with just the whole intake upgraded, then again with the exhaust upgraded. I did however, did a before and after dyno. Standard = 196rwkw, Cat back Exhaust & Air intake/BMC filter = 206rwkw. Same dyno, same operator (of who had nothing to do with any of the modifications).

Hope this info helps!

AGRO!!!!!!

#66 ·
AGRO I think you are pretty much on the ball. The rwkw after catback and intake is roughly what I got. BTW...do you have the chart on the net? I'd like to see the curve characteristics.

exhaust/cold air/ i got 230rwkw
chip/helix spacer/ i got 250rwkw
cheers..
If the Helix spacer gives 8rwkw...that means the chip only gives 14rwkw which is pretty poor for cost effectiveness. We need the BOSSedit bad.

#68 ·
SS cold air induction is very good it’s the best value $ for power gain, it’s a mod where you can feel the difference strait away. My opinion better than full exhaust...
fullthrottle thought u were coming to Calder last night ???

#69 ·
XRFPV8 said:
SS cold air induction is very good it’s the best value $ for power gain, it’s a mod where you can feel the difference strait away. My opinion better than full exhaust...
Even better when it's the open mouth style, I hadn't seen the open mouth style untill Sunday at the all Ford day when I looked at Cam's and John's GT-P's, now I know what they mean by OPEN mouth, watch out seagull's.

#70 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
Even better when it's the open mouth style, I hadn't seen the open mouth style untill Sunday at the all Ford day when I looked at Cam's and John's GT-P's, now I know what they mean by OPEN mouth, watch out seagull's.
hi galaxyxr8 I wouldn't cut the mouth on my SS cold air, I was told that SS did a test on a big mouth with a thermometer and when u cut the mouth open they got a lot more hot air from around the motor, through the intake mouth… and we all know we want cold air not hot…

#72 ·
bedflute said:
ss cold air d@t 2.5inch twin system pacemakers exstractors 206rwkw from 185 standard in shootout mode dyno
welcome to the FF bedflute, like most poeple i have the Herrod header's, now that more company's are making them, there will be more to choose from..

#73 ·
XRFPV8 said:
Sorry dude, got caught up at the pubs after work :eek:P

bedflute said:
ss cold air d@t 2.5inch twin system pacemakers exstractors 206rwkw from 185 standard in shootout mode dyno
Finally someone with the pacemakers! How do you find your bottom to midrange with the pacemakers? How much fitted?

#74 ·
XRFPV8 said:
hi galaxyxr8 I wouldn't cut the mouth on my SS cold air, I was told that SS did a test on a big mouth with a thermometer and when u cut the mouth open they got a lot more hot air from around the motor, through the intake mouth… and we all know we want cold air not hot…
This might be the case, I'm not sure but I did notice the size of the open mouth, it's HUGE.

#75 ·
AGRO XR said:
Guys.

Just been reading through this thread, and thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

Cold Air Induction........ Air Filter...........

Cold Air Induction.
You will be lucky to see some or if any, gains on the dyno from running a cold air intake alone. If you do, the readings will be very low. The Ram Effect as mentioned earlier, is only valid when the air speed into the intake is in excess of approx 130kph (by memory, I think it's even higher). The ducted fan placed in front of the car during a dyno, does not push air speeds that quick, so the ram effect of the Cold Air Intake is pretty much nil. Where you will gain and notice this mod, is when you actually drive the car at those speeds or above. The cars response will be sharper (due to the air getting rammed into the intake instead of being sucked in)! Also, the intakes are usually feed from the outer most point of the car, eliminating hot air from under the bonnet.

Air Filters!!!!
If the cars standard air filter is restrictive (which most are), or the opening into the air box is too small (some are), this will throttle back on the amount of intake air the car is trying to suck in! An aftermarket air filter is usually the first place you will find intake increases, due to the fact that air passes more freely through these filters! This is a gain that will show up on the dyno. An easy way to tell if you have a restrictive intake, is put your car on the dyno and run it, then pull your airbox cover off your airbox, and run it again. The increase you get (if there are some) will help you justify if you need to update the standard intake/air filter set up! And that second figure you obtain on the dyno is what your approx. going to get if you upgrade your intake.
People will usually hear the 'intake hiss' when the car is running, after they have changed the standard Air Filter. This goes to show that it was fairly restricted in the first place, if this is the case!

I can't remember the size of the 5.4 airbox intake hole. I chopped mine a month or so ago to accommodate the SS induction. By memory, I think it was small (for the 5.4ltr motor that is). Unfortuntely, I didn't put this car on the dyno with just the whole intake upgraded, then again with the exhaust upgraded. I did however, did a before and after dyno. Standard = 196rwkw, Cat back Exhaust & Air intake/BMC filter = 206rwkw. Same dyno, same operator (of who had nothing to do with any of the modifications).

Hope this info helps!

AGRO!!!!!!
Got to agree with you Agro, when I fitted Battens Cold Air set up I pulled out the original air filter housing and thought the same thing, such a small inlet for the size of the engine. I agree with the ram air thing as well, I can't see it being any benefit until you reach a certain high speed. I think how the Battens Cold Air set up works is allowing unrestricted air flow rather then so called Ram Air flow into the filter.
With Battens set up they use a XR6T snorkel and cut a 83mm hole in the side of the air filter housing as well as leaving the original inlet set up to the housing working.
I think this combined with the BMC filter is where the extra Kws are picked rather than thinking there is a Ram Air effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.