Ford Forums banner

Boss 260 vs Boss 290

35K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Luke Plaizier 
#1 ·
What are the engineering differences between the 260 and the 290?

The Compression Ratio is the biggest indicator that the internals will be slightly different - even if it's only the pistons themselves. Of all the bits they list for the Boss 290 at www.fpv.com.au, can we assume that many of these bits are also bolted into the Boss 260?

The REAL question though, is how many people might consider slotting in a Boss 290 Cam after the warranty expires (as long as the ECU can feed the extra fuel) to make up some of the gap between 260 and 290kW ?

Lukeyson

#2 ·
Compression ratio, camshafts, and ECU are the differences I know of. The comp ratio would probably account for a lot of that 30kW.

If I had a 260 my attention would be on bolt-ons - exhaust would give at least 20 of those kWs straight away for around $3000 including headers.

#4 ·
OK, the exhaust is another question. Does the Boss 260 and Boss 290 share a common Exhaust? Having a single exhaust component would make life a lot cheaper for FPV.

So how did they up the compression? Changing the deck height? Milling the Head? Or fitting different pistons.

If it's all head-work, I can see this as being a pretty cheap factory-spec upgrade path for XR8's.

If FPV will deal with off-the-street customers, then I wonder how many XR8 owners might consider having FPV do this work in the future?

Lukeyson

#9 ·
I hope its not either but I seriously heard that one a while ago, and it was from some one important on here. It stuck in my mind because it struck me as stupid.

I think the whole idea behind it was to make FPV vehicles more exclusive.

Ofcourse I could very well be wrong, feel free to prove me wrong.

#10 ·
Another thing is their are now rumors of the BA Fairlane or LTD getting the Boss 260. So that would be another mainstream use of Boss motor and thus more common parts.

How many Boss motors will Tickford be building a year? Seems the number would be well over 5000, probably closer to 10000 maybe? That's a pretty high volume product to try and keep "exclusive". I'm sure their will be plenty of parts to go around... (fingers crossed)...

#11 ·
This fpv parts for fpv cars is a bit dumb. Surely a sensible business would sell to demand ... but look at the way mopar in the seventies marketted performance to the masses and they are still held in high regard ... the exclusivisity attitude I thought died with the change in management in ford as evidenced by the change of heart at jaguar; an end to snobbery...

... the bywords of the ba is affordable, accessable performance, right?

#12 ·
max_torque said:
This fpv parts for fpv cars is a bit dumb. Surely a sensible business would sell to demand ... but look at the way mopar in the seventies marketted performance to the masses and they are still held in high regard ... the exclusivisity attitude I thought died with the change in management in ford as evidenced by the change of heart at jaguar; an end to snobbery...

... the bywords of the ba is affordable, accessable performance, right?
Snobbery eh? Well, as in any argument you have to look at it from both sides.

In past years, as a HSV owner, it was very hard to be understanding of Commodore Executives running around with HSV bodykits, wheels and other bits when you just spent $80k on an 'exclusive' car.

Now, with FPV buyers such as myself, we are buying the cars because we want something special. To start selling those exclusive parts to lesser model owners would erode the investment, hence the resale, and ultimately the ability to roll into a new car in 2-3 years.

I see a need for Ford to provide for the aftermarket as it is a golden opportunity to create a new generation of Ford enthusiasts. The balance is a hard one to strike, however I believe it can be done.

For the record, I draw the line at visual elements of FPV cars being sold to non FPV owners. That means bodykits, bonnets, wheels etc.

#13 ·
8EHiND said:
That rubbish, what happenes to all the people that want to take in their EFs etc and get them FPV'd. Like in the olden days with Tickford - take in your EF and come out with a Tickford XR8
Exactly how do you mean by taking an EF and making it an EF XR8. Tickford/FPV have never worked on 2nd hand cars, all there cars are brand new. Besides if one wants to take an EF and make it an XR the cost would not be worth, much easier and more sensible to save up and by a genuine Tickford EF XR.

#14 ·
Here is the difference between the Boss 260 and the Boss 290

(1) High-compression pistons and piston ring pack

(2) Re-engineered conrods with fully floating gudgeon pins

(3) High-lift inlet camshaft (13mm) lift

(4) High-lift exhaust camshaft (12mm) lift

(5) Unique valves, valve springs and finger followers

(6) FPV balanced crankshaft

(7) Heavy-duty bearings.

(8) Domed tops on the pistons lift compression ratio from the Boss 260's 9.52:1 to the Boss 290's 10.5:1 (requires 96 RON PULP) Which results in major improvements to engine response. Improves overall engine efficiency and fuel economy under light throttle loads.

(9) Each crackshaft undergoes a special balancing process at FPV prior to assembly to match the special Boss 290 piston and conrod combination and results in exceptional refinement and reduced stress on components at all engine speeds.

#15 ·
But more importantly the GT and the GTP will feature a new 3.46:1 final drive ratio vs the XR8 3.23:1.

The engine will produce around 400nm@ 1000rpm and reaches peak torque of 520nm@4500rpm.

But the most impressive thing is that at 5000rpm, the power and torque figures cross. At that engine speed there is around 265kw and 520nms!!!!!. At 5750-6000, theres 290kw. This is one awesome engine and will run impressive times...

#18 ·
Luke Plaizier said:
I can see someone bolting the Boss 290 heads onto a Boss 260 someday.....

With the standard pistons, bearings and rods you could still use ULP, but with a better flowing head, is anyone prepared to guess at the expected kW for this puppy?
There would be no reason to change heads since they are the same casting. Only the cams, valves and springs are different.

Regarding power output, my guess is that the higher compression of the Boss 290 is what accounts for most of the power gain. Changing just the cams would probably only yield 10kW or so.

#20 ·
interesting the camshafts are same lift (13mm and 12mm) as the 2000 SVT Cobra R

anyone else got anymore detailed information on the boss 260 and 290 ?

im with AP i reckon the increase of CR from 9.5 in the 260 to 10.5 in the 290 would pretty much account for the 30kw

#21 ·
strife said:
interesting the camshafts are same lift (13mm and 12mm) as the 2000 SVT Cobra R

anyone else got anymore detailed information on the boss 260 and 290 ?

im with AP i reckon the increase of CR from 9.5 in the 260 to 10.5 in the 290 would pretty much account for the 30kw
Strife, the camshafts are supposedly the exact Cobra R units. Hence they would be available either locally or from USA direct. The heads are also the same.

I've been doing some thinking about these engines and it is with great interest I note that dependent on cylinder head details the 290 has a LOWER potential for horsepower than the 260. Why?

Well, by my reckoning the best way to go on these engines is supercharging. With the currect CR of the 290 I calculate that the max boost at max torque (BMEP) is going to be around 3psi. carrying this out over the entire rev range sees a likely max boost of low 4.x psi.

#22 ·
If you were to keep the internals stock that may be the case but I dont see any descriptions of the pistons used in the GT being forged. That being the case you'd be a mug not to switch to forgeds pistons which would also let you specifiy slugs which allow a more boost friendly CR.

#23 ·
recycle this old thread i found, how much more do we know now about the 260 vs 290 that we didnt know back in febuary..

#25 ·
FPV High-Compression Pistons and Piston Ring pack
FPV Re-engineered Conrods with Fully Floating Gudgeon Pin
FPV High-Lift Inlet camshaft (13mm lift)
FPV High-Lift Exhaust camshaft (12mm lift)
FPV Valves, Valve Springs and Finger Followers
FPV Balanced Crankshaft
Heavy-Duty Bearings
75mm High-Flow Throttle Body with Drive-by-Wire control
FPV High-Flow Air Intake System
FPV High-Rise Long Runner Intake Manifold
FPV Stainless Steel Fabricated Exhaust Manifolds
FPV High-Flow Dual Exhaust System
High-Capacity In-tank Fuel Pump

it also works out as a 330 ci engine

#26 ·
Some of the bits listed by christo are shared with the 260 engine.

The unique engine bits for the 290 is a smaller list.

CM 6505 T46 VALVE, EXHAUST
CM 6507 T46 VALVE - INLET
BAT 6513 A SPRING - VALVE, INLET
BAT 6513 B SPRING - VALVE
F8AZ 6564 AA ARM ASSY - VALVE ROCKER, INLET
M 6529 T46 A ARM ASSY - VALVE ROCKER, EXH
BAT 6250 A CAMSHAFT, RH, INLET
BAT 6250 B CAMSHAFT, LH, INLET
BAT 6135 A PIN - PISTON
BAT 6148 A KIT - PISTON RING, STANDARD
BAT 6200 A ROD ASSY - CONNECTING
BAT 6K109 BKT KIT - PISTON REPAIR, STD GRADE 1

Till next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.