Boss 290 Engine Noise - Take 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 03:30   #1 (permalink)

Boss 290 Engine Noise - Take 2

Hey All,

Well the problem still exists after the dealer having the car for 8 working days, they replaced a cam tensioner and 2 lifters (1 exhaust, 1 inlet) on the drivers side of the motor. Which made it quieter at start up and idle, but the noise persists under power.. Now originally i was told to drive the car for 2 weeks to see what I thought and if it was still a problem to then bring it back in. Today i saw another pursuit in the dealership getting serviced (i only work across the road) so i rang the service dude to ask if i could bring mine in and compare.. To which he replied 'there's no point, yours doesn't have the original exhaust fitted'. So now the story has changed of today and I'm told they won't look at it anymore as it's an exhaust problem, if I had the original exhaust still fitted there would be no noise. Now as i told them I would agree to that if the motor was noisy on both sides, but the passenger side is dead quiet (except for the normal mechanical noises u would expect from cams etc). I've spoken to FPV and the dealer about this, FPV CRC are pretty helpful and are looking into it for me, but what i've suggested is that i'll get the original exhaust re-fitted to rule that problem out.. only drawback, gonna cost $... but in the long run i'm prepared to do it cause I just want my car fixed and running like it should.. I did mention to FPV that if that was the case then I'd want to know if they would re-imburse all or part of the cost. and on the flip side, well if it turns out to be an exhaust problem (I highly doubt it) well I'll wear it and put up with the noise.

So what i was hoping, was that i could hear from any GT/GTP/Pursuit owners with herrod exhausts fitted as to whether their car is noisier now (ticking noise, the only way i can liken it is to an old style tappet noise). I highly doubt this is the case, but I'd like to hear from you guys out there. Even better, if you're in the Brisbane area I'd like to get together and compare and have a chat. So I guess the best way would be for you to private message me.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Yatesy
yatesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 05:28   #2 (permalink)
ESP Man

Re: Boss 290 Engine Noise - Take 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesy
Hey All,
So what i was hoping, was that i could hear from any GT/GTP/Pursuit owners with herrod exhausts fitted as to whether their car is noisier now (ticking noise, the only way i can liken it is to an old style tappet noise). I highly doubt this is the case, but I'd like to hear from you guys out there. Even better, if you're in the Brisbane area I'd like to get together and compare and have a chat. So I guess the best way would be for you to private message me.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Yatesy
I don't have a BA but it should be possible to identify where the noise is coming from by putting a big screwdriver onto the engine and pressing your ear to the handle. It's easy to identify which tappet is noisy this way.

Try putting it onto each header pipe on the left bank then do the same on the right. Some headers do emit a ping sound but this is usually associated with high compression motors. Are the headers the same shape on each bank? If not,this may explain any difference between noises from each side.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:28   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

moving this to the engine forum. Would be better suited there.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
moving this to the engine forum. Would be better suited there.

Hey,

Would it be possible to move the thread back to the FPV forum? The only reason i'm asking is that it does specifically relate to the BA GT/GTP/Pursuit and i want to hear back from as many owners with herrod exhausts as possible and I think that forum is the best way to do that.

Thanks...
Old 03-01-2004, 13:04   #5 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Yatesy, if it is only making the noise under load it sounds like you might have a slight exhaust leak at the headers, that would make the tic tic noise. Usually if a tappet was making noise it would do it wether it was under load or just sitting stationary at a certain RPM. Let us know how you go.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Yatesy, what fuel do you use. Under load my car was very noisy, it actually sounded like it was pinging when I used Shell Optimax. If I used BP Ultima or my usual Mobile Synergy 8000 I had no problems. Although since I had my car reflashed with the latest software it seems to be able to use Optimax with no problems. I would also as rod c said get the exhaust mob to check for a leak on the drivers side header too.

If yours is an auto, I would definately suggest getting the car flashed with the latest software anyway too, as this has many performance benfits with the transmission too.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGROMS.com
Yatesy, what fuel do you use. Under load my car was very noisy, it actually sounded like it was pinging when I used Shell Optimax. If I used BP Ultima or my usual Mobile Synergy 8000 I had no problems. Although since I had my car reflashed with the latest software it seems to be able to use Optimax with no problems. I would also as rod c said get the exhaust mob to check for a leak on the drivers side header too.

If yours is an auto, I would definately suggest getting the car flashed with the latest software anyway too, as this has many performance benfits with the transmission too.
Hey well the final update i guess... had the opportunity to meet Rob Herrod while he was up here and he was sooo nice about meeting and having a listen to my car before he flew back to melbourne.. anyways, in his opinion the noise is nothing to worry about and he said he's heard quiter and noiser and mine would be a bit above average on the noise stakes.. kind of luck of the draw.. to me i think the car should be dead quiet, but hey i'm not an expert.. the noise is actually hard to pick at idle, but when u bring the revs up or drive the car it gets worse.. i've always used optimax and according to the ford dealer it has the newest software on the computer... so i guess for now i'm sitting tight and seeing what happens to the car..
Old 03-15-2004, 15:19   #8 (permalink)

Re-torque your crank pulley.

Mine became noisy as hell all of a sudden a couple of years after I had the underdrive pullies installed. To me it sounded like valvetrain noise (collapsed valve lash adjuster) and it was loudest at idle.

Modulars are known to be very noisy if the crank pulley is not torqued enough.

Maybe something to check.

Anthony
Bassani Cat back
4.10 gears
285 rwhp, 282 rwtq
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
stricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30   #9 (permalink)

Hello... sorry to bring this thread up again... but I've just started to experience this ticking sound coming from the engine. The beat of the tick corresponds to the engine rev i.e. higher rev = more ticks per second. Sounds like a tappet noise..
I use to hear it faintly but today it was much louder. Just wondering if anyone has found the solution to this "issue".

TA
Old 04-22-2004, 15:19   #10 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Mine is becoming a little noisy now as well. It shut up after I did an oil change but is getting a bit noisy again now. I reckon it's certainly no worse than the windsor AUs and while the engine runs okay and makes good power I'm reluctant to chase the issue up. Is it loud enough that you hear it from outside the car with bonnet shut and car idling? (mine is just audible if I stand about two metres from the car)

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech