Ford Forums banner

cold air ba xr8???

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  shane3 
#1 ·
can anyone help me with advice on fitting cold air on a ba xr8 ute ? eg: does the car require retuning after fitting? What gains could i expect? and any recommendations on brands etc... the car is stock at the moment besides the 18's

#2 ·
i put a ss industions on my pursuit with a k/n filter,i bought it from capa as they are on special there,i paid $290 for the kit,90 i think for the filter,took about 2 hours to fit taking my time, some tossers will see this price but say it is better to buy from herods for $500 for the kit because he uses vaso when he f#### you so it feels good to have him work on your car
in all honesty no more power but sounds better,everyone here confuses more sound for more power

#4 ·
No tuning is needed,at the recent forums test day i spoke to a guy who had a pursuit and he said he had replaced his airbox with a xr6 turbo one.I don't believe there is any difference and if so a slim one at that.Find out about SS inductions they may manufacture one i don't know.Expect $300+ for a professionally made one through SS inductions,expensive but apparently dyno proven power???

#5 · (Edited)
How i did my SS cold air system,
1.Remove filter box from car.

2.Trace around the new piece and cut 10mm INSIDE the line.

3.Apply high temp silicon around the edge and let set, making a gasket.

4.Cut and place 3, 33mm spacers in the opening of the system, evenly spaced and held in place with stainless steel screws, these will bring the opening to a better size, as the standard size of the opening is only 21mm high.

5.Attach the new corner piece with stainless steel self tapers 2 or 3 per side depending on lenth of side and do up tight---NOT to tight as u will strip the plastic thread

6.Cover the joints with high temp tape -Got mine from Autobarn, Looks like alfoil tape but a lot stronger and sticks like s**t to a blanket.

Hope this has helped, you might want to invest in a K&N filter aswell

#6 ·
dd73oz said:
can anyone help me with advice on fitting cold air on a ba xr8 ute ? eg: does the car require retuning after fitting? What gains could i expect? and any recommendations on brands etc... the car is stock at the moment besides the 18's
if you dont feel confendent enough to install ring Rob or Jeff at Herrods they will look after you with a SS induction and a BMC filter this is the most popular air induction on this site.Herrods give FF member's a 5% discount.
there are a few guy's here use a battern's air induction it is a lot cheaper but you will have to install yourself and it is about 1/3rd of the size of the SS unit at the mouth.

#7 ·
Yeh Herrods also charge $700 to do the job, got the SS induction system from Autobarn $350, they now want $395 for it, you also get the 2 aluminium scoop that sit behind the top grill to redirect the air flow.

#8 ·
I would seriously suggest checking out the Herrod forum and read about "air injection".
It seems to be a fairly basic mod that you throw in between the tb and manifold, which alters the air flow to better effect . . .
I *think* was was around the $300 mark, and the guys who have are rapt . . talking about 6 - 8 kw gain . . .

For air intakes, I'd be pretty tempted to throw in a BMC / K&N and leave it at that.

#9 ·
shane3 said:
Yeh Herrods also charge $700 to do the job, got the SS induction system from Autobarn $350, they now want $395 for it, you also get the 2 aluminium scoop that sit behind the top grill to redirect the air flow.
i think you pay around $650 fitted with a BMC filter and you do get the redirect the air flow plates mine were powder coated black makes it hard to see them behind the grill...ask for your 5% discount..

#11 ·
Hey guys check out Batten Performance they have a cold air induction kit with improvement figures to show for XR8 and cost is around $400:00. His email address is bpt@norcom.net.au. He does have a website with the performance graph and pictures of the installation but the address evades me at present.
I enquired about one for my XR6 which he does make but does not have dyno figures on it yet. This from my recollection was a much better setup (and value for money) than the SS Inductions kit. The Batten setup includes K&N Filter, snorkel, housing,etc and he freights to anywhere in Australia.

Contact him as I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

#14 · (Edited)
fullthrottle yours looks very small around the mouth compared to the Ratt's and shane3 that is in there post above....

#15 ·
yep compared to the SS/Herrod intake setup it is small.

The maximum amount of air you can feed into your airbox is only as good as your smallest point i.e. the tube running from the mouth to the airbox.
I think the battens and the ss/herrod are very similar in diametre.

The other thing you need to keep in mind with the batten setup is that the original intake (from behind the headlights) is still there!! So there are two sources of intake. :eek:)

#16 ·
With Battens set up they use a XR6T snorkel and cut a 83mm hole in the side of the air filter housing as well as leaving the original inlet set up to the housing working.
I think this combined with the BMC filter is where the extra Kws are picked rather than thinking there is a Ram Air effect.
I went for the Battens Cold air as there is no need to cut the bonnet rubber or move the power steering resevoir and I get enough rubbish in the air filter now with the scoop I have with out having something 3 times bigger to collect more insects....;)

#17 ·
stay calm guy's for me doing a mod is for performance, The SS intake opens up the whole air intake canister you get a full flow to the maximum that feeds the hose to your throttle body and the more air the better, ecspisally when you are feeding a 80mm throttle body, there is more to this SS induction to follow, as for bonnet rubbers some BA's dont even have one.. moving a power steering resevoir into different place isn't going change anything to your car, if you want to leave your car OEM guy's dont change the zorst either, as long as you happy with your purchase thats what matters.

#18 ·
I originally had the batten's CAI but upgraded to the SS Induction one last year. While the battens one did make an improvement and was relatively cheap (think i paid $300 for mine delivered) the SS induction made a lot more and was noticeable.

One thing i havent done however, was cut back the mouth. After talking to SS Inductions they said that during testing the air temp inside the airbox increased with the larger sized mouth, but it also produced a slightly different note.

#19 ·
Rod,

I am leaning towards your ideas too, mate. Battens looks good, and no need to root around drilling holes etc..

J.

#20 ·
Look seriously both are just as good. I haven't heard anyone put on either and say they didnt notice increase. To be honest I noticed a slight increase but not as much as I had anticipated.....

Rodderz has had both and reckon the SS makes more power..... but it's a little dearer.

Either way you can't go wrong. You have a couple of options :eek:)

BTW does anyone know what the standard diametre of the throttle body is on the BA XR8s?

#21 ·
fullthrottle said:
Look seriously both are just as good. I haven't heard anyone put on either and say they didnt notice increase. To be honest I noticed a slight increase but not as much as I had anticipated.....

Rodderz has had both and reckon the SS makes more power..... but it's a little dearer.

Either way you can't go wrong. You have a couple of options :eek:)

BTW does anyone know what the standard diametre of the throttle body is on the BA XR8s?
the BA XR-8 is fitted with a 75mm throttle body standard

regards
rod

#22 ·
Rodderz said:
I originally had the batten's CAI but upgraded to the SS Induction one

One thing i havent done however, was cut back the mouth. After talking to SS Inductions they said that during testing the air temp inside the airbox increased with the larger sized mouth, but it also produced a slightly different note.

greetings Rodders
i have playied with the idea of cutting the intake but after a little research i have found that it increases the induction noise only & that is what people claim is a power increase

i have found that i flow's really well as it is, the main thing to check is that the air box has been ground out to maximum on the inside so that it does not disturb the air turbulance

if your has not been done let me know & i can fix it for you with a little touch-up with the die grinder

regards
rod

#23 ·
XRFPV8 said:
stay calm guy's for me doing a mod is for performance, The SS intake opens up the whole air intake canister you get a full flow to the maximum that feeds the hose to your throttle body and the more air the better, ecspisally when you are feeding a 80mm throttle body, there is more to this SS induction to follow, as for bonnet rubbers some BA's dont even have one.. moving a power steering resevoir into different place isn't going change anything to your car, if you want to leave your car OEM guy's dont change the zorst either, as long as you happy with your purchase thats what matters.

greetings Mark
how do you find the SS Inductions 80mm throttle body performance wise & also just in normal driving

do you think that it is good value for money & how would you rate it compared to your other mods

regards
rod

#24 ·
rod said:
greetings Mark
how do you find the SS Inductions 80mm throttle body performance wise & also just in normal driving

do you think that it is good value for money & how would you rate it compared to your other mods

regards
rod
When we had our Heathcote FF drag meeting Jan 10 I had 8 runs on the quarter my best time was ET: 15.00 with most of my pass's being around ET: 15.25. Since then the only thing I have changed is the throttle body to a SS 80mm, my best time is now a ET:14.59 last week ran I consistently in the ET:14.6's together with the SS induction feeding that bigger throttle body I just love it..
Now on the road I found on hotter days the car goes better, these motors just love the air, I can say I haven’t had a dyno yet, the quarter mile is my dyno where I can see a REAL gain, in the past few weeks I have seen some big dyno figures but those figures didn’t convert into good times on the track....

#25 ·
greetings all
thats good to hear Mark
i remember when you ran a few 14.9s & calder & we removed the SS Inductions 80mm throttle body from my car & fitted it to yours without even giving the computer time to relearn that a change had been made & you ran a 14.78 & the next run i drove it went 14.70

i was impressed with the change that it made then, now after you have driven it for a week you have run a 14.59 thats a big gain, it would be interesting to see how much it would pick up in a sedan as they are a fair bit lighter than our utes

regards
rod

#26 ·
Cut my one was cut out with the dremal did a great job, the original opening in the air filter housing was very small, With the ss induction it opened it up to an oval shape that took up the entire bottom corner-about 250mm x 150mm x 160mm high, a massive increase in air flow, easly 2.5 times the size of the original inlet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.