cold air ba xr8??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 03:07   #1 (permalink)

cold air ba xr8???

can anyone help me with advice on fitting cold air on a ba xr8 ute ? eg: does the car require retuning after fitting? What gains could i expect? and any recommendations on brands etc... the car is stock at the moment besides the 18's
dd73oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 03:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: cold air ba xr8???

I think the SS induction is pretty good.Easy to fit Cost around 350-400 .No tunning is neccessary and you`ll probably get around 6kw gain.
330boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:51   #3 (permalink)
TurbolaserS

No tuning is needed,at the recent forums test day i spoke to a guy who had a pursuit and he said he had replaced his airbox with a xr6 turbo one.I don't believe there is any difference and if so a slim one at that.Find out about SS inductions they may manufacture one i don't know.Expect $300+ for a professionally made one through SS inductions,expensive but apparently dyno proven power???
turbolaser_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:26   #4 (permalink)

How i did my SS cold air system,
1.Remove filter box from car.

2.Trace around the new piece and cut 10mm INSIDE the line.

3.Apply high temp silicon around the edge and let set, making a gasket.

4.Cut and place 3, 33mm spacers in the opening of the system, evenly spaced and held in place with stainless steel screws, these will bring the opening to a better size, as the standard size of the opening is only 21mm high.

5.Attach the new corner piece with stainless steel self tapers 2 or 3 per side depending on lenth of side and do up tight---NOT to tight as u will strip the plastic thread

6.Cover the joints with high temp tape -Got mine from Autobarn, Looks like alfoil tape but a lot stronger and sticks like s**t to a blanket.

Hope this has helped, you might want to invest in a K&N filter aswell

My Car

Last edited by shane3; 03-21-2004 at 22:05.
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:34   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd73oz
can anyone help me with advice on fitting cold air on a ba xr8 ute ? eg: does the car require retuning after fitting? What gains could i expect? and any recommendations on brands etc... the car is stock at the moment besides the 18's
if you dont feel confendent enough to install ring Rob or Jeff at Herrods they will look after you with a SS induction and a BMC filter this is the most popular air induction on this site.Herrods give FF member's a 5% discount.
there are a few guy's here use a battern's air induction it is a lot cheaper but you will have to install yourself and it is about 1/3rd of the size of the SS unit at the mouth.

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 14:47   #6 (permalink)

Yeh Herrods also charge $700 to do the job, got the SS induction system from Autobarn $350, they now want $395 for it, you also get the 2 aluminium scoop that sit behind the top grill to redirect the air flow.

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 15:11   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I would seriously suggest checking out the Herrod forum and read about "air injection".
It seems to be a fairly basic mod that you throw in between the tb and manifold, which alters the air flow to better effect . . .
I *think* was was around the $300 mark, and the guys who have are rapt . . talking about 6 - 8 kw gain . . .

For air intakes, I'd be pretty tempted to throw in a BMC / K&N and leave it at that.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:21   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
Yeh Herrods also charge $700 to do the job, got the SS induction system from Autobarn $350, they now want $395 for it, you also get the 2 aluminium scoop that sit behind the top grill to redirect the air flow.
i think you pay around $650 fitted with a BMC filter and you do get the redirect the air flow plates mine were powder coated black makes it hard to see them behind the grill...ask for your 5% discount..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 16:34   #9 (permalink)

cheers thanks for your help everyone
dd73oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 19:05   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: cold air ba xr8???

Hey guys check out Batten Performance they have a cold air induction kit with improvement figures to show for XR8 and cost is around $400:00. His email address is bpt@norcom.net.au. He does have a website with the performance graph and pictures of the installation but the address evades me at present.
I enquired about one for my XR6 which he does make but does not have dyno figures on it yet. This from my recollection was a much better setup (and value for money) than the SS Inductions kit. The Batten setup includes K&N Filter, snorkel, housing,etc and he freights to anywhere in Australia.

Contact him as I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech