cold weather, engine clack??? please help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 14:48   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation cold weather, engine clack??? please help

well i have had my 92 crown vic for about a month now, this morning was the first cold day that i have started it, it fires right up, runs quietly, then after about 30 seconds or so, give it a bit of gas and from what sounds like the valve cover area it starts to make a clacking sound, after about 4-5 mins of driving it faded away, does anyone else have this problem or hear of this? thanks for any help.
bonneville92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 13:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: cold weather, engine clack??? please help

I'm having the same problem with my 93 crown vic with 158k. I think it has to do with one of the lifters not getting enough oil pressure. I'm going to try using a heavier oil, I'll let you know how it goes. Mine has been like this for a while, & it's getting worse. I think it's the end of this 4.6.
shanescrownvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
78fordman

Sounds like a good start with the oil.. Also try some Lucas oil stabalizer..I had a simular problem with a toyota and lucas fixed it... I guess stuff goes this way with cars that have over 150K miles lol
78fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 18:16   #4 (permalink)

I changed the oil & filter yesterday after only 1000 miles. The oil was already pretty dark & gross, & I don't like the motorcraft filters as much as others. I installed a fram double gaurd & some castrol GTX 10w-40. It definatly helped but the noise is still there. I'll try some oil stabalizer next, thanks for the tip.
shanescrownvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 22:31   #5 (permalink)
Death & Taxes

I had the same problem everytime I started my 03 mustang and running 5w30, switch to Mobil 5w20 and after a couple of days no noise, I will stick to syn oil for sure, with motorcraft filter.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech