Mods for XR8 5.4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 00:43   #1 (permalink)

Mods for XR8 5.4

Hi guy Im new here ,I have a BA xr8 manual,and i would like to do some mods to it to improve the power a little bit.Ive noticed a few of you have done mods already.I would like to know what mods are current and what would be the best.Also some of you that have mods already have you done before and after dyno`s,and if so what power increase did you get.also what would a standard XR8 run in the standing 400m compared to one after mods have been done.Ive notice by reading on here that the XR8 times vary from 13.8 to a 14.8 is this the difference between the standard one to one with mods.
Thanks......
330boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 01:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mods for XR8 5.4

heeheheh looks like you got a lot of reading to catch up on.
Maybe we should start a new section for mods on the BAs?

I think most people will tell you that the first mod to do will be the cold air intake.

Exhaust second

Chip third....
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:14   #3 (permalink)

Methinks... Go straight to "Modular Performance" section & read up what "Boss 330" knows about mods?...
( or is that 330 Boss?)
Old 02-11-2004, 18:01   #4 (permalink)

for a minute there I didnt know what you were on about ,There is a Boss 330 also on here.I went to check it out but im not after a 10 sec street monster its a new car so I dont really want to go to the extent of changing cams and wot not.But Ive been reading the threads on here of what the other guys have done and im not sure about them ,im a bit wary of these small mods eg.exhaust and chipping and struff .It seem people are spending alot of money for these mods and their cars are not going any quicker .They claim all this power increase but on the track the standard ones are just as fast if not faster than the ones with mods.
For myself I was sort of planning to do maybe the exhaust and cold air so it could breath a little better and then bolting on a 140 hp nitrous kit so i can have a blast when ever i feel the bug bite.
I think they are around $1000 mark and Ive seen a VY SS run 12.2 with this set up.

Last edited by 330boss; 02-11-2004 at 22:11.
Old 02-12-2004, 23:18   #5 (permalink)
BLACK PANTHER

330 boss nice idea l thought of that but after doing some homework found out the motor would not handle that amount of pressure therefore you would be killing the lifespan of the motor
ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 23:34   #6 (permalink)
Movin!

Be prepared to feel that after you do 1 mod, it'll be hard to stop. Unfortunately i didnt run my ute stock, nor did i take before/after dyno runs, most of the time the people who usually run the dyno machine werent there the day of fitting the mod.

I got my herrods full stainless exhaust 1st, which improved power all through, particularly low to mid revs. Also made it sound friggin horn

Secondly the cold air intake (SS Induction type) made just as much difference to the feeling of power as the full zorst. It gives it more pull as revs increase and changes the note slightly.

The Helix Throttle Body spacer from herrods made an increase to acceleration, also runs better at idle i found. Every bit of increase helps. I thought about a chip to get better power and response but it seems i've been hearing a lot of late of the learning capabilities of the Boss's causing dramas for the chips.

Time to wait for some sort of edit for the ecu of the boss, me thinks there will be considerable scope there
Old 02-13-2004, 02:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
330 boss nice idea l thought of that but after doing some homework found out the motor would not handle that amount of pressure therefore you would be killing the lifespan of the motor
Yes Ive found out that the standard engine can only handle 80 hp unless the fuel pump is changed to a hi volume one then the hp of the nitrous can be raised.
Old 02-13-2004, 14:37   #8 (permalink)

When using nitrous watch out for the floor pan dropping off..!!! LOL
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 17:30   #9 (permalink)

carnt go past full zorst/cold air/helix spacer/
good bolt on stuff
enjoy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech