Oil Level BA XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 23:23   #1 (permalink)

Oil Level BA XR8

3000 service last Friday, requested dealer for oil change and new filter (mistake number 1)....

Charged for it, today oil light comes on, car beeps and shuts down, check oil, just a little oil on stick... and no sign of leaks.

Go to local garage (mistake number 2) and they overfill it by 15mm on stick (took over 2 litres), but give me oil all over the engine & new intake and big dirty hand prints in the middle of my bonnet.

Phoned dealer... couldn't be us, we use a digital gun, we reset it to zero you know, bloody fabulous thing... (waste of time).

How much damage has this/could this cause? (drove 120km).

Do I drain some out? Do I make local garage drain some out? Do I go back to dealer.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 03:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil Level BA XR8

Yes drain the excess oil out. It will damage your internals if you have too much oil.
Changing oil is rather easy.... take some time to learn it.... it is better to DIY.

I'm not sure if 120kms would have done all that much damage.

Anything that needs to be done on your new BA should be brought to the dealer... bringing it to your local garage could void warranty.

Hope it works out okay for you.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:03   #3 (permalink)

Why the change at 3000ks????????, It should have had one at 1000k's & I do mine every 7500ks after that( ford says 15000ks, but thats streaching it as far as I'm concerned) I'm using shell 10W30 & a Z512 Ryco filter.
Do it your self, it gives you a chance to check over parts of the car you normally dont see & you will tend to be a whole lot more fussy than your Ford dealer & your not having to pay for Clearasill.
BA330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 14:00   #4 (permalink)

fullthrottle

local garaged drained out 500ml this morning... saying that they couldn't see the oil on the stick... but then they couldn't see the oil they had spread all over the engine cover either... grit the teeth and walk away... will get some ramps, filters and oil this weekend and do my own from now on.

ba330ci

3000 change was done at first service, I had to insist my dealer do it, at first they refused, even though when I booked in for first service, they were informed of my wanting to change the oil. And why wait until 3 instead of 1 thousand to do it... ummmmmmm yeah, I should have changed it at 1000. But then... I shouldn't drive it the way I drive it either if I want it to last forever.... no excuses... you're right.

And he asks, putting on his asbestos suit, Clearasill????

Thanks

Jase
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34   #5 (permalink)

cool Re: Oil Level BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_m9
fullthrottle

local garaged drained out 500ml this morning... saying that they couldn't see the oil on the stick... but then they couldn't see the oil they had spread all over the engine cover either... grit the teeth and walk away... will get some ramps, filters and oil this weekend and do my own from now on.

ba330ci

3000 change was done at first service, I had to insist my dealer do it, at first they refused, even though when I booked in for first service, they were informed of my wanting to change the oil. And why wait until 3 instead of 1 thousand to do it... ummmmmmm yeah, I should have changed it at 1000. But then... I shouldn't drive it the way I drive it either if I want it to last forever.... no excuses... you're right.

And he asks, putting on his asbestos suit, Clearasill????

Thanks

Jase
first sheldled service is 1000ks, with a complmentary at 3000ks although this is only a check over, then every 15000ks thereafter, i have my own workshop so i stamp my own book, you can change your own oil & filter & then get ford dealer to check over at 15000ks & stamp the book thus keeping your warranty intact or get a licenced workshop to do the same (whatever)
as to the clearasill have you seen the average age of the workshop staff at any dealership, if you have then you will see what i mean as my business takes me into a number of workshops in n.s.w. i see that it is a wide spread trend (must have something to do with cheap labour )
cheers, wayne
BA330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 14:22   #6 (permalink)

Clearasil eh?

Trouble with today's pimply youth, they get Gameboys for Xmas instead of a Mecanno set. :)

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 14:56   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

first Scheduled service is 3000 klms not 1000 klms.
going to a garage does not void your warranty as long as any work done on your car is done by a registered mechanic, if you were worried about your oil i donít believe a little over (500ml) will do damage, if you just had a Ford dealer oil change and the light came on and the car shut down, ring the dealer and if he donít come ring Ford roadside assist its free for 3 years from the time you purchased your car....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Last edited by XRFPV8; 01-16-2004 at 15:06.
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 15:57   #8 (permalink)

i waz told by my dealership that if I goto a non ford approved garage for servicing that I will risk having my warranty being void.

Reason being the non ford approved garage may be using non ford approved bits and pieces. Or they could make stupid blunders as in this case.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 17:42   #9 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
i waz told by my dealership that if I goto a non ford approved garage for servicing that I will risk having my warranty being void.

Reason being the non ford approved garage may be using non ford approved bits and pieces. Or they could make stupid blunders as in this case.
hi fullthrottle, Your dealer is telling you porkpies, for a service you can use anything as far as oil and filters go as long as they meet the specifications in your service book, and have an Australian standard, and use a registered mechanic, but they canít do any warranty work or fix any faults that arenít associated with servicing.
Most important thing is you take it to someone you can trust and is going
to give you a high level of service that you deserve, and is going look after your pride & joy....
thx...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Last edited by XRFPV8; 01-16-2004 at 17:48.
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:54   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA330ci
as to the clearasill have you seen the average age of the workshop staff at any dealership, if you have then you will see what i mean as my business takes me into a number of workshops in n.s.w. i see that it is a wide spread trend (must have something to do with cheap labour )
Oh I don't want to know... I no longer look in the workshop... to me it's like looking in the kitchen at a restaurant, I am only gonna have nightmares...

Things I have seen: Tool boxes on the bonnet, 2 or 3 little shits leaning on the duco, welder/grinder in the bay next door (sorry AP), air compressor hose entering passenger window and out driver window to get to car in next bay, oil covered, overall wearing, pubescent test drivers... frightening...

Final statement from dealer regarding oil fiasco, and I've heard it before... "mate, it's only a car".

Jase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech