problems after overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 20:19   #1 (permalink)

problems after overheating

I think I know what I am looking but am hoping and praying I haven't blown this motor up we had our recently acquired 92 crown vic overheat on us today and it cut off about a half a mile from our house. We let it cool off enough to get it started again and get it to the house and now it is a little difficult to start and has a slight skip to it. Please tell me some suggestions besides replacing the motor. Thanks in advance.
tallica2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: problems after overheating

might be just cracked insulators on the spark plugs (which overheating acn cause0; try a new set.
Old 09-26-2006, 18:18   #3 (permalink)

The heads could be cracked; if it is just them, they can be replaced, albeit the fact that the engine will still have suffered some damage from the overheat and will probably not run quite as good (often burn oil.. piston rigns not tight up against piston anymore). In any case, you need to check the entire engine, block and head, for any signs of a crack; if you don't know what to look for have a professional do it. Also, you need to find out what made it overheat in the first place. Also, check to see if all the fluid levels are good.. if it's leaking then there's definately something wrong. The motor may very well need to be replaced, and no matter what the repair is, it will likely cost a good bit, but you need to diagnose what exactly happened to the engine before you just go and do something. You may be able to get it to run fine with a simple repair, but if there is further damage it could blow up going down the road, which would be even worse. And I bet if you have a mechanic look at it he will be able to tell you pretty well just from listening to it what is wrong; most good mechanics have dealt with something like this many, many times and know exactly what to look for. I kinda jumped around in what I was talking about, but I think if you read all that it will give you an idea of what to do. Good luck.
stealth13777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 21:55   #4 (permalink)

You probably had a warped front cylinder head. Overheating usually causes internal damage to a cylinder head gasket that could cause a difficult start or the engine to not start at all.
Hubbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech