Ford Forums banner

Sean Hyland Motorsport blocks

8K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  XRQTOR 
#1 ·
I was reading on his website www.seanhylandmotorsport.com about the 4.6l and 5.4L replacement alloy blocks he has for mustangs and the such. He also notes that the block can be bored out to 6 litres.

I was wondering if anyone knows how much power you can get out fo the 6.0L block naturally aspirated. The website says the blocks can handle up to 2500hp and only weigh 95lb! Imagine how much that would go to help our nose-heavy BA XR8's and GT's!

#2 ·
i have posted this in a few threads and got no intrest, i spose for 4.5k us they are way over the top. But if a large number of say 100 or so was ordered i rekon they would drop $$$ a fair bit.

#3 ·
i have posted this in a few threads and got no intrest, i spose for 4.5k us they are way over the top. But if a large number of say 100 or so was ordered i rekon they would drop $$$ a fair bit.

#4 · (Edited)
are these alloy blocks exactly the same as our BA blocks..Dont think poeple would cough up the cash until there warranty's are finished..
Good idea though....

#6 ·
i would love one, the cost of a alloy block and srip down of the engine and then a rebuild, may as well put in new bearings while your down there, new seals & gaskets it would cost heaps...

#7 ·
if you search through google.com you can find a few performance shops in the states that sell forged internals for the 5.4 lightning same as our xr8's. There not that expensive if you plan on making decent power howerver you see fit. But An alloy 6.ol block + custom internals = Sh*t loads

#10 ·
4.5k US is expensive. Going on the latest financial trading the aussie dollar is worth around 75c US. So that aproximately equated would mean the stock block by itself would be almost 8grand. Get all the other internals like Forged steel crank, billet steel conrods (all parts from the SVO parts catalogue) used on the Cobra R, as well as new bearings, main caps, pistons, seals you're looking at well over 10 grand just for the bottom end.

I'm not sure what heads they use. I'm guessing as it's a modualr block too we could fit the boss/mustang heads straight on. If you were doing a swap in a BA XR8/GT you'd probably want to sell the engine as a complete unit and get abit of money for it.

So, that said, you'd get new heads, radiator, and all other ancilaries you'd need to supply yourself. When it comes down to it you'd probabably be paying over 20K Aussie. Guess it might be cheaper in the end to get everything you could off the old BOSS donk and whack it on the new motor if everything was interchangable.

I just hope someone someday does this to a BA. I know if I could afford it I would do it straight away no sweat.

#12 ·
Cammer wouldn't be nearly as powerful as an aftermarket modified alloy engine.

#13 ·
Just looking at the Sean Hyland site, the new block is extremely well designed, but logic says the only major improvements would be the 6 litre capacity and the weight saving, which is minimal anyway. It would take serious dollars to get the real benefits of that set up.

#14 ·
my calculator must be broken as i only figure the block to be $5900 au
http://www.xe.com/ucc/ thats where i get my exchange rate info from. And i wouldnt buy anything from ford, big rip off. Why not get custom rods and pistons from the Manley or the likes. And as for minmal weight saving the block weighs only 95lbs or 43kg's, add another 50kg's for the internal's and thats only 100kg's for it i bet it's less than half of the orignal weight.

#15 ·
XRFPV8 said:
are these alloy blocks exactly the same as our BA blocks..Dont think poeple would cough up the cash until there warranty's are finished..
Good idea though....

No our blocks are cast iron and bassically come from the Navigator...
Alloy blocks are comeing here and U.S on all models, except Lightning where strength is an issue or anything blown.Though in light car that may change...

#17 ·
YES the part #'s are the same as the Cobra. Inlet is obviously wider than 4.6..

#19 ·
XRQTOR said:
my calculator must be broken as i only figure the block to be $5900 au.
But then you have to import it, pay duty, etc.

Obviously this is a long way up the ladder of mods to a Boss engine, and if you were going to change to an alloy block like this you are also already up for new pistons/rings (different bore), it would be worth going for forged rods etc instead of sintered and most likely a stronger crank.

If you were to swap over the internals & top end, then the capacity increase would most likely reflect the increased power you would get - ie ~11% or 320kW, and 580Nm.

PS, did you see this pic on the site? Mad!

#21 ·
For around 15grand Aus I could see you getting a 400kw/700nm naturally aspirated beast that's capable to Rev to 6800rpm. You could say that this does not represent good value for money when you could just bolt a Capa supercharger on the BOSS and be done. That's true, but if i HAD the money, It would not just be something unique, but really make it a track weapon and balance out that heavy front.

#22 ·
i think shm offers some great sh*t but compared to the rest of the industry hes kinda expensive (like very very expensive). But thats because he can charge what he wants as hes one of the best, bit like herrod's i guess. He has written a book got it published and has been a huge success as hes been the leader in modular motors for years and has written the book based on his experience's and hasnt held back like most would. waiting on my copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.