V8 Rumble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 17:19   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

V8 Rumble

G'day all,

I currently own a BA XR8 Ute. I have dual 2.5" exhaust from the kiss pipe back & achieved 14rwkw. I guess achieving power figures is one thing, but with this exhaust I find the NOTE is to quite! Once you put some rev's into it, shes all good but at idle & cruising around town, you really canít hear the 'V8 Rumble'. So what are my options here, go to dual 3" inch maybe, or would putting some pacemakers on bring on this V8 Rumble? I'm not talking about a ridiculous sound you can here from 3k away. Just something louder & more noticeable then what I have now.

Cheers,

Memphis.
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004, 22:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: V8 Rumble

Here Here.

I want just what was in the very first series of XR8 adds you know the one with the purple ute with all the police following him. All you can here is that boom boom boom boom. But what i got was a bloody little purrr.

I have heard a lot of sound files nothing like the one on the add but.
Old 06-08-2004, 23:26   #3 (permalink)

Bad news fellas. We were all fooled by that ad. As you may have read a few months ago I did some experiments with my exhaust system for sound. I wanted that oldschool V8 throb... Went back to the exhaust shop a total of 14 times trying different mufflers, resonators and setups. You won't get that sound. 90% of the V8 sound comes from the engine...if your engine is not making the sound then you won't get it no matter what exhaust system you fit. A set of aftermarket extractors will only enhance the sound a fraction so don't expect any magic.

That BOOM BOOM BOOM sound you're referring to is the lumpy pulse.....it's what the old V8s have. The only way you're going to get that out of these modern V8s is a set of lumpy cams. Bloody hell even the Lexus 4.0L quadcam sound unreal.

I'm still dark at the false advertising that FORD put out but am slowly getting use to the sound of these new V8s.
Old 06-09-2004, 17:16   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

fullthrottle: what did you find the best exhaust setup to be for sound quality?
Old 06-09-2004, 17:23   #5 (permalink)

I found that each person has their own taste in sound. So what sounds good to one person might sound "crap" to another. Sorry I can't answer your question directly but my advice would be to go have a listen to a few systems then make up your own mind.

Herrod always has examples at his shop. I think Mick Webb had the HPX but now gone to his own single 3". Takes a bit of research but if you are going to fork out the $$$ it's worth doing it.
Old 06-09-2004, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Did you happend to try dual 2.5" to dual 3" or vise versa... ?
Old 06-09-2004, 17:38   #7 (permalink)

I went the twin 2.5 at the front going into twin 2.25 at the rears.
The choice of mufflers/resonators (there are so many combinations) is just as important (if not more important) as pipe size when looking for sound.
2 things to be aware of if you want a loud system. Drone and/or Bark.
If you do a search on this forum some dude had video and sound clips of his twin 3" system.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
XR82GO

There is a guy in the Xr club that has a Black BA xr8 and he managed to get a kinda of school note out of it. Definately sounds nothing like any other Boss powered car i have heard anyways. Will ask him what system he used next time i see him.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:03   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Is the Boss engine the same as the Gen III in the fact that no matter what you do you will never get that deep V8 rumble that you feel on a good ol V8 like for example the Holden 304 efi and ford's 5ltr,I've heard that the Gen III has this problem due to the firring system, I wonder if the Boss is the same?.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:29   #10 (permalink)
Horse-Power Hungry

Quote:
no matter what you do you will never get that deep V8 rumble that you feel on a good ol V8 like for example the Holden 304 efi and ford's 5ltr,
Even Better 351c and such
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Modular Tech