1966 F100 Starter Relay Wiring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 20:55   #1 (permalink)

1966 F100 Starter Relay Wiring

Recently bought a '66 f100 4x4 that had an alarm system it in. Pulled the wiring but having a problem getting all the wiring back where it should be. Have a brand new 4 post relay starter though the original wiring shows a three post. When I got the truck, and it started right up, the "i" terminal was wired to the negative battery terminal. Nothing is hooked up to the "i" terminal now and I have brown wire hanging in the breeze. The brown wire is hot when the ignition switch is in the run position and has no voltage in the start position. The "i" terminal has no voltage in run or start. The original wiring diagram shows only a 3 post starter relay.

I'm thinking the new relay is bad and the brown wire should be wired to the "i" terminal.

anyone out there know how it should be wired?
mtnKzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 12:56   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1966 F100 Starter Relay Wiring

I don't think you need to wire anything to the "i" terminal. I is reserved for your electric fuel pump.
Old 10-06-2012, 16:43   #3 (permalink)

I couldnt find 1966 but the 1967 should be the same or very close.

1967 f100-350 wiring diagram

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...ing-gauges.jpg
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 16:14   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the 1967 wiring diagram. I have a less detailed one for the 1966 and it didn't show a 4 post starter relay. I believe I have it correcly wired now, using the brown wire that was hanging out. Can't believe the person before me wired that hot terminal the negative battery post and fried the relay. The truck would start and run but was incorrectly wired and not sure how it worked. I did try replacing the relay with the original wiring and WHOA! major smoke. thought the harness was gonna fry.
mtnKzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech