1975 390 timing chain set - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 00:39   #1 (permalink)

1975 390 timing chain set

ok , I keep running into some snags building my motor..... I bought a Compition cam &double roller timing chain set,timing chain #2108,my problem is the cam gear is milled flat where the fuel pump eccentric bolts up...I have a 2 piece eccentric if you was to bolt it up to this gear it won't spin(the outer ring won't spin on the inner part of eccentric) if you look at the original cam gear it has a raised area on it as well as a offset milled area to allow the eccentric to bolt up tight and have a backing to ride on ....I tried comps help line and they could not give me an answer,summits help line said most of the timing sets are like this(cloyes,eddelbrock), does anybody make a one piece eccentric for this motor????? I even ordered a ford racing double roller timing chain set,same problem!!!! has anybody run into this problem???? so far I have 2 timing chain sets and neither will work,would like to know which brand and part # will work for my application.....I even bought a engine finishing kit and it came with a 2 piece eccentric, as far as I know all 390's have a 2 piece, I know the 302&351W has both 1&2 piece eccentrics and they sell different timing chain sets accordingly....any help appreceated
carnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 1975 390 timing chain set

CLOYES Part # C3021K
$21.79 @ Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

Does it look like this?

I can't locate a double roller set

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:38   #3 (permalink)

Yep mid 70's and up Ford went to the 2 pc eccentric and required a different cam gear. The original 1 pc required hard chrome plate process which was dumped in favor of the 2 pc part. At this point it might just be easier to go with the 1 pc eccentric if you can find one. I know I have 1 for my build but might have an extra. I'll have to look.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04   #4 (permalink)

yes ,looks just like that , I was hoping to find a double roller set !!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:14   #5 (permalink)

I knew ford had to have a one piece eccentric for this motor are I wouldn't keep getting this type of cam gear, I even have the Ford Performance book(yellow book)and it shows them buiding a 427/428 combo motor(427 block/428 crank) and using the flat cam gear and in the next pic it shows the eccentric bolted up, just not a good enough picture to see if it is a 1 or 2 piece unit...........do you know where I can get a 1 piece eccentric, if you have an extra,I'd be willing to buy it.....Thanks for your help,maybe I'm not crazy after all...when you talk to people about this problem they look at you like you don't know what your doing!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:42   #6 (permalink)

Sorry nothing in the parts bin here. But try the classifeds at 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum and I'm sure you'll get one. If your not a net54 member let me know and I'll post a WTB ad for you. Being the 1 pc eccentric needed the hard chrome process Ford chose to go to a 2pc. This was done to reduce pollution and eliminate the hard chrome process according to Dave Shoe at FE.com.

Cloyes does sell a double roller set. Rollmaster does as well but is a little pricey. Doug @ Precision Oil Pumps sells both. He's in the "Links" section in the forum header at FE.com. Barry R @ Survival MS carries them as well. He's in the links section too.They might have an extra eccentric also.
Old 06-29-2008, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

If you could come up with a cloyes part number on the double set, cloyes home office & 2 plants are right here in my area. I know several ppl that work with cloyes and im sure they offer an employee sales discount.
Old 06-29-2008, 15:21   #8 (permalink)

I believe it's a 9-3108CL if I'm remembering right.
Old 06-30-2008, 23:13   #9 (permalink)

I just found a set cloyes makes that is a double roller, but it uses a 1 piece eccentric as well, they sell a complete set with the double roller timing chain set,a 1 piece eccentric,cam bolt ,washer, dowel pin,part # 9-3108A, it cost alot though, $183.99 (at autozone.com), if you know several people that work there, maybe they could just sell me the 1 piece eccentric????or tell me there source for them to put into that kit???? thanks again!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I'll mention it and see what they can find out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech