390 to 428 Bore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 23:21   #1 (permalink)

390 to 428 Bore

i have a Ford galaxie 500XL Fast Back with a 390 my grandpa left me. this car means alot to me so i don't want to mess it up. here is my question, i wanted to put a 428 in it but i have been told that the 390 and the 428 block are the same all i have to do is bore it out .080 over and get a 428 crank and pistons and i should have a basic 428. has any one done this or know if this is true? I would love some help.
onebad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 08:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 to 428 Bore

You need to check the cyl wall core thickness to see if it's possible. The best way is to sonic map the block. But there is an easy field test you can try to see what wall cores were cast into the block. the test is called the "drill bit test". You need to knock out the blocks freeze plugs (three on each side) to access the cyl wall cores. You will then see the cyl wall cores and the gaps between them. Years of crap and crud can buildup so you need to scrape away some of that to get an accurate reading. If a 13/64" drill bit shank is a snug fit you have a very good chance of the 4.13 overbore and the block has 406/428 cyl wall cores. If a 17/64" drill bit shank fits snugly between the cyls the block has std 390 wall cores and will make the overbore to 4.13 impossible. As mentioned this is a basic field test and a sonic map will net the best results and to thickness and coreshift. even if the block has thicker wall cores coreshift can spoil the party. You can convert your bit sizes to suit your needs. The 64th's is just the standard measurement given for the test. Also credit is due to Dave Shoe on the net54 forum for inventing the drill bit test. It's a pretty neat way to check the blocks wall cores. Even if you can't acheive the 4.13 overbore you can indeed get a 3.98 428 crank and build a 410+. Stroker kits from Scat can even net you more cubes but you need to go to a 6.700 BBC rod. What year is the Gal and is the engine original?

G.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:18   #3 (permalink)

It is a '68 and yes the enigine is original i have yet to actually start working on it because i'm in the military so money is hard to come by but i'm just trying to get a good idea of what i'm going to do before i get started. thanx for the info i will check out that sonic test before i start boring. Any more tips would be very helpful
Old 07-15-2006, 11:00   #4 (permalink)

Well once you determine the wall thickness you can then see where you want to be overbore wise. Either way if the block has 428 wallcores or not I'd go the very least amount to cleanup and leave some meat for future rebuilds. The last thing you want to do is max out the block. To be honest you don't need 428 bore's and crank to build a kick ass 390. You can keep the 390 crank. Add some ARP rod bolts to the rods and have a solid bottom end. Sure the 428 crank will give you some bottom end torque but the 428 cranks go for $400 and up to $500 turned and ready to go. The cast 390 crank will do just fine. You can use the extra money to port and polish the heads which will really wake things up. A set of CJ size valves to and you'll have a great set of heads. Get a nice edelbrock RPM intake or whatever the budget will allow and 4bbl carb, some headers and a nice cam to complement everything and you'll have yourself a nice 390. You don't need a ton of money to build a nice 400 HP 390. Once you have the time and start the work let us know the heads that are on the engine. Being it's a 68 my guess would be they are C8AE-H's which were on pretty much everything at the time. So set a budget and don't get over your head. This way you can build and enjoy the ride. Keep us posted of your progress and any other question you have. And BTW thanks for your service. We all owe you and all the troops many thanks for what you do.

G.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33   #5 (permalink)

Thank you very much for all the info. i'm taking the first step to forward progress and buying a enigne stand tomorrow so i should be able to have the head #'s for ya'll soon and I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 01-21-2008, 17:40   #6 (permalink)

to be honest its really not hard to find 360's or 390's, if your cars motor is #'s mathcing and your going to modify it it won't be stock, my sugestion is go to the scrap yard and pick up a core motor, thats not blown,and build it, then if you ever desire to return it to stock show, you can.
f.e. man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 17:10   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.e. man
to be honest its really not hard to find 360's or 390's, if your cars motor is #'s mathcing and your going to modify it it won't be stock, my sugestion is go to the scrap yard and pick up a core motor, thats not blown,and build it, then if you ever desire to return it to stock show, you can.
I think it's a little late now, this thread is almost 2 years old!!! he must have done something with it already.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 17:18   #8 (permalink)

i noticed that about 5 min. after i did that. ooops.
f.e. man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech