390 in 8o bronco - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 14:13   #1 (permalink)

confused 390 in 8o bronco

Can you put a 390 in 8o 4x4 bronco! If so how much work would it take.Thanks twoeyes.
TWOEYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 23:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 in 8o bronco

You shouldn't have much difficulty at all. I put a 428 in a 1980 f100 2wd step side with very little modification.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 13:44   #3 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 390 in 8o bronco

thanks--twoeyes
TWOEYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 14:10   #4 (permalink)

Why would you want to ? What engine did the bronco come with ? Do you have any idea of what a 390 weighs ? Do you have shares in the oil industry ? A 390 at the best is 10 miles to the gallon at 30 M.P.H. or 80 M.P.H. i know, i found out the hard way. There are better engines out there with more H.P. to weight ratio than the 390.
390 stock is about 200 hp. and can go to 320. depends on what the motor came from.
A stock cast iron motor weighs about 675 lbs. Will the front suspension on your bronco
hold up the 390 ? I don't think so. Bottom line. You can make anything fit anything if you have a big enough hammer, a torch, and a welder. As far as how much work will it take, can't tell you. Every mod is different. Try it and you will find out. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17   #5 (permalink)

I would like to say that when I pulled the 300 ci 6 out of my pick-up which weighed about 300-400 lbs and installed the 428 at 700 lbs I ganed about 300lbs on the front end, that's all. As far as a big hammer trying to make it fit, didn't even come into play. The hardest thing I had to do was to grind off the rivit buttons for the 6cyl mounts on the frame so I could install the mounts for the V-8. I grinded off the engine mounts so the headders would fit and since I am running 2 fours I had to grind out the fire wall area for the rear carb. The last major obsticle was getting the top loader to fit on the tranny mount.

All in all it was an effortless change over, and cudos to you for keeping the FE alive, whatever you run it in.

*note* Ford ran FE's up untill 1976 and never changed the chasis design for years after, so the FE will slide right in to a full size truck, bronco, etc.

Here you can see my 428 fits nicely in my 1980 pick-up.

kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech