390 heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 20:06   #1 (permalink)

390 heads

OK I just had a lot of machine work done at a highly recomended machine shop.........he put my cam plug in block backwards,now I am wondering if he did anything else wrong,I have two questions about my heads. I had them surfaced,competion valve job,hardend seats,new seals,new valve springs(I'm going to run a comp extreme energy 262/270 duration,.513/.520 lift cam, he set spring pressure at around 100 lb closed 300 lb 0pen) first? is: are the valve seals susposed to move up and down easy on valve stems?(they didn't look like they where down all the way on the head, so I used a plastic glass tool to gently push them down,what keeps them in the correct spot?) the second ? is : are the inner damper springs suspose to be touching the outer valve springs? (they wind differt directions,don't think they would ever get in bind,but not sure if they should be touching????
carnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 07:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 heads

On the cam plug being backwards do you mean the concave facing inside towards the block? If so that's correct. If the concave or cup is facing out it needs to be removed and turned around. The back of the cam will wear away the plug otherwise. Something I like to do is add a bead of sealer around the outside of the cam plug. This helps prevent weeping.

On the valve seals it sounds like they are the stock umbrella's and yes they will slide up and down on the valve stem. There are the teflon and rubber Viton seal that you can use. These require a cut on the valve stem area by the seat cup. And they are crimped on and stay in place. These are also less prone to harden, crack and come apart as time goes on. But being the umbrella seals are on and it's done no biggie. And yes it's normal for the inner damper spring to touch the inside of the outer spring. It's main purpose is for harmonic damping. It should not bind.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 16:22   #3 (permalink)

The cam your using is a mild cam and you could use the stock springs, they'll hold up just fine. Although if your going to run a lot of high RPM's you might want to get a little bit more beefer springs.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 20:26   #4 (permalink)

he put the cam plug in cup side facing out, I knew it was wrong after I saw it,just for kicks I tried the cam......it lacked 1/8" to go in all the way! I called him back on monday& he thought I was crazy(he builds chevys mostly) he called his ford friend and told me I was right and he'd get me a new plug! It just got me concerned on the heads when I saw the valve seals not all the way down& springs touching...Thanks for your reasurance!!!What is your thought on motor oil,I have always had good luck with Vavoline, but I read an artical in a magazine and also in the cam spec sheet that said regular motor oil doesn't have what it use to to keep cams from wearing....both the magazine and cam sheet said to use Shell Rotella oil (diesel oil) what is your thought? I use Shell Rotella in my 2002 7.3 powerstroke , but don't know how clean my motor is on inside are how good Shell is or how long my diesel will last...I know Vavoline motors are clean on the inside after 20 years of regular use...Thanks Again, Ron(carnut73)
Old 06-19-2008, 20:37   #5 (permalink)

this motor is for a 1975 F150 super cab, thus the choice for such a mild cam.I probably won't twist it more then 5000 rpm....just go to car shows in this ride..the original springs only had about 60 lbs seat pressure, so thats why I decided on new springs rather then shimming original ones...thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 14:14   #6 (permalink)

ZDDP or Zinc is the additive your looking for. I use Valvoline VR1 Racing which still has very good zinc content. Rotella has changed from a CJ rating to SM I believe. But you can still find some old stock here and there with the CJ rating. For breakin you can add GM's EOS, Crane break-in lube, or Lucas also sells a zinc additive that's good. There is another the Vee Dub guys use but the name escapes me at the moment.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:20   #7 (permalink)

Hi, Torco makes a engine protector product with Zinc, Phosphorus, and Magnesium as I recall. I am now adding that to both my old cars to try to protect them. Dave 69 Torino Talladega, 79 Ranchero Street rod P.S. I don't have any long term experience yet with the Torco product.
69torino-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech