390 Oil Leak Blues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 16:15   #1 (permalink)

confused 390 Oil Leak Blues

I have a 71 F100 with a 390. The motor was rebuilt about 5k ago, and not long after started leaking oil from the back of the motor, most prevelant on the passenger side. I figured it was a rear main seal problem. I replaced it twice with no effect. Both times with neoprene seal. I inspected the crank, it was in good shape with ////// marks. I thought about the intake causing the leak, so redid it with no effect on the leak. Any ideas where my problem is? Could it be the camshaft/oil gallery plugs or am I way off on that? If so, would the flylwheel be covered in oil, cause its not? Some say I should live with it, but I don't like to see puddles under my truck or tons of oil grease underneath. I appreciate any ideas.

Tyler
pilotjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 390 Oil Leak Blues

Could be coming from the rear intake area.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 17:25   #3 (permalink)

Like I said initially, I redid the intake with no results. It seemed to have a good seal before, but I gave it a try anyway. Any ideas on the oil gallery plugs being the source?
pilotjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:27   #4 (permalink)

Are you sure it's coming from behind the motor? Have you checked the valve cover gaskets?

Also make sure the intake is sealed,...not just on the flat edge of the block but the corner where the intake gasket meets the flat edge gasket. If you are using silicone or right stuff make sure that you have enough to seal the open gapped area.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 23:40   #5 (permalink)

try adding a tracer additive to your oil. you can get it at any parts store. clean any excess grease off the back of the engine. run it for a day or two, get back under with an ultraviolet or "black light" and the tracer will shine green or light blue and you can follow the trail to the source of the leak
jonnydesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 13:52   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjock View Post
I have a 71 F100 with a 390. The motor was rebuilt about 5k ago, and not long after started leaking oil from the back of the motor, most prevelant on the passenger side. I figured it was a rear main seal problem. I replaced it twice with no effect. Both times with neoprene seal. I inspected the crank, it was in good shape with ////// marks. I thought about the intake causing the leak, so redid it with no effect on the leak. Any ideas where my problem is? Could it be the camshaft/oil gallery plugs or am I way off on that? If so, would the flylwheel be covered in oil, cause its not? Some say I should live with it, but I don't like to see puddles under my truck or tons of oil grease underneath. I appreciate any ideas.

Tyler
I am currently investigating the same problem on my 1962 Mercury 390. I just rebuilt and installed the engine and its having the exact same problem and symtoms you are having. I dont understand how the flywheel can remain dry and still have oil leaking from inside the bell housing.
Ill let you know what I find. I dont think I have a choice but to pull the trans out at this point. Everything outside the engine is dry except the starter which appears to be supplying a partial exit for escaping oil.
Tom Krukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 19:51   #7 (permalink)

another item you might check, besides the oil galley plugs, check the cam plug it might be leaking from there. I always install it cup side in, and for a sure seal, a little gasket sealer on the edge. are you running an automatic or standard?
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 21:56   #8 (permalink)

Do yourself a favor and pull your trans and replace the oil plugs. I had my engine rebuilt and started it and oil was everywhere. Put in a new rear main seal and same thing. There are 3 plugs and one was leaking. I'm going to replace all 3. i dont like the way they look
cyclone gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech