390 Project - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:01   #1 (permalink)

390 Project

I am new to the forum. I have been into fords for some time now, but I am new to the big blocks. Looking for some advice.

Just purchased a Fairlane Thunderbolt clone project that came with a disassembled 390. The seller claims that the block is a hi-po block which has the high nickle content. The block has a big X in the lifter valley which he says makes it a service block. How can I determine exactly what this block is?

The 390 is in pieces and has had all the machine work done to it. I am planning on taking the block to my local machine shop and have it checked out to make sure everything was done properly. The block was bored 60 over so I am going to have them sonic check on it. Also going to have them check the line bore. I will be using ARP bolts for the main caps. Is there anything else that I should have checked, or any mods that I should have done to the block while it is at the maching shop?

The crank the came with the purchase is a standard crank. He told me that he had it checked and it still is within specs. I am going to take this into the machine shop and have it checked again and polished. Anything else I should have done to the crank?

The rods he claims were reconditioned, but they do not appear to have been shot peened. They are currently attached to a new set of flat tops that came with the purchase. I will have the machine shop recondition the rods and have ARP bolts added. Anything else I should have done with the rods?

Also included is a Edlebrock Performer intake manifold. A freshly machined set of heads came with the project. I am wanting to build this motor so I have a fast street car and also have a mean sounding idle. Any suggestions on a cam kit that will give me a nice heavy lope at idle and will also have good midrange performance up to the 6000 rpm. I am planning on running a manual 4 speed on this setup.
machfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 19:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 Project

You can't beat the 390 GT cam. It has a nice mild loopey idle. Allot of people over-cam the FE's. A couple of 2.5" Flowmasters turned down right in front of the rear. She'll talk.

Last edited by tbird100636; 12-22-2008 at 18:10. Reason: Minor spelling correction
Mercury Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech