390 rebuild help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 07:46   #1 (permalink)

390 rebuild help

I'm going to rebuild my 390 and wont to put a 427 crank shaft to make it a 410 and I need to know what do i need to do that. like do I need differnt heads or can I keep the same heads. what size pistions do I need and conecting rods. Can I keep the same push rods or do I need differnt push rods
73f-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 04:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 rebuild help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73f-250
I'm going to rebuild my 390 and wont to put a 427 crank shaft to make it a 410 and I need to know what do i need to do that. like do I need differnt heads or can I keep the same heads. what size pistions do I need and conecting rods. Can I keep the same push rods or do I need differnt push rods
If you put a 427 FE crank in your 390,then you will still have a 390 as they have the same stroke.The 410 used the 428 crank,but I don't know about the pistons and rods.The 390,406 and 427 FE Ford motors all had the same stroke.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:44   #3 (permalink)

Re: 390 rebuild help

You need a 428 3.98" crank to make a 410 out of your 390. The 427 shares the same crank stroke as the 390 of 3.78". Pistons for the 410 are available in either cast, hyper or forged. Badger, Silvolite, TRW etc.. all make the 410 slugs. The 410 piston has the wrist pin location higher to compensate for the longer stroke. They are available in std bore and plus sizes for overbore. The block should be checked to see what bore it's at and if it's over .030 have it sonic mapped for thickness. You can use the 390 rods you have. Heads you have should be fine. I'd go through them anyway to be sure the valves, guides, seals etc..are cool. As far as pushrods go that depends on the cam you choose. I'll assume you have the non adjustable rockers that use the ball/ball style pushrods. Those will live if you keep the lift around 500-525. If you want more cam you'll need to get adjustable rockers and the ball/cup style pushrods. You'll also want to match valve springs to the cam. Most companies will reccomend a cam/spring package with pushrods to match. If you can swing it I'd change the rockers you have to adjustables anyway. You just need to change the rocker arm and maybe the shafts if they are worn or gauled. The stands, springs, washers, bolts etc.. can all be reused. NOTE the location of the rocker assy bolts when you remove them. One will be necked down. The necked down bolt goes in the hole where the oil feeds the rockers from the head. When you remove the rocker assy from the head you'll see that bolt hole is cup shaped and has a small hole inside it. That's the oil feed hole to the rocker assy from the head. It's the 2nd bolt fron the front on the left (dr) side and the 3rd from the front on the other side.

G.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech