428 block ID - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14   #1 (permalink)

428 or 410 block ID revised

I have a 428 maybe a 410 bare block i believe, it has C6ME on it and date code looks like 6A22 there is a V above the 8 and to the left also, block has 39 or 36 and 22 over 352 ON DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE BLOCK also.....I didn't see an A or c scratch anywhere, but the block looks like it has been hot tanked, and was getting ready to be put together.......Need some help with the ID,is it a 428 OR did they make another block with C6ME the in date code 6A22, i have pics if someone wants to see it, just the bare block that has been hot tanked looks like.... One more question what kind of value do these have if any....It looks like the cyl's measure 4 1/16 across not sure exactly how to measure the stroke with no crank.....

Thanks for the help...
stoneheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2006, 15:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: 428 block ID

FE block casting numbers of the 428 CJ era will be found on the front passenger side of the block, if present. Casting numbers on FE and FT (Ford Truck) cylinder blocks since 1966 no longer indicated the type of block, but became a leftover formality from earlier days when the foundry had far fewer block variations. As the decade closed, the Dearborn Iron Foundry and Cleveland Foundry would stop placing these deceptive casting numbers on new engine block patterns. The casting numbers would return when the new Michigan Casting Center started producing FE and FT blocks in the early '70s. MCC blocks would not contain the familiar "352" marking of years past, but would instead use "105" as a general identifier. The picture above shows a CJ block that lacks casting numbers. Casting numbers that appear frequently during the CJ era include C6ME, C6ME-A, C7ME, C7ME-A, and C8ME, but beware -- these markings do not indicate a specific block whatsoever, since any FE or FT block of the period can be found with any of these numbers.

Some blocks have a "428" cast onto the floor inside the water jacket. There are two common positions to view this protruding number: one is just inside the center freeze plug hole, the other is directly beneath the long coolant slot at the rear of the block. If present, you can be sure the cylinders are thick enough to support 428 pistons, core shift permitting. If the number is not visible from either position, you'll need to make other verification checks. Measuring the gap between cylinders using a drill bit is the easiest way to determine whether your block is capable of supporting 428-sized cylinders. It is presently thought that if the shank of a 15/64" drill bit will NOT fit between the cylinders at any reachable spot in the six core holes, the cylinder will likely handle a 428 bore, core shift permitting
Old 05-23-2006, 15:52   #3 (permalink)

here is the link to the rest of the story
http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-block.html
Old 06-20-2006, 02:34   #4 (permalink)

Hi from bungenbore, i have a c6me block to it was a 330ft 1966-67i bort it off a guy in mudgge he said it was a 391ft when i pull it down it was only a 330 ,
but after do a drill bit test i found it was thick wall for a 330ft i got it sonce tested , it will bore out safe to 4 .125 so just get your drill bits and do a test
your wall thicknes remove your welsh plugs and slide the drill bit in between
your cylinder top and bottom let me no what size drill you use ok and ill tell you what i no ok

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech