428 oil flooding??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 11:54   #1 (permalink)

Question 428 oil flooding???

my 428 floods the heads with a std vol pump and a 60psi spring. I have gone as small as .072" restrictors and it still floods. I have open top valve covers and everything looks normal while the engine is running. Oil just accumulates slowly and eventually floods nos. 4 & 8 cylinders. There is no one place excessive oil is pouring out. Just slow accumulation. Both rear drainback passages are clear. Or as clear as they can be with head bolts passing thru them! I have new shafts with Crane adjustable rockers. The rocker arm to shaft clearance is not at all excessive and there is no oil coming out the shaft plugs at both ends. Any help would be appreciated. dick
wgt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 15:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: 428 oil flooding???

What heads are you running stock iron or aftermarket aluminum? Do you have the drainback tins in place? On the rockers are these the iron Crane's or the aluminum? I run the iron one's and the clearances are on the large side. Edel heads commonly use a .060 restrictor as the feed holes are pretty big. Are you running a stock pan?
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 18:25   #3 (permalink)

FFR428, I'm running stock heads with the Crane cast iron rockers. The drain back tins are in place. I'm thinking about pinching the end channels in the tins to force more oil to go back the center grooves and into the lifter galley under the intake manifold. At the present time I'm running a stock pan which is risky with so much oil staying up in the engine. I replaced the two rear head bolts with ARP reduced shank studs to promote better drain back at the rear drain passages. This held off the flood for about four or five minutes! Thanks, Dick
Old 09-23-2007, 13:39   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: 428 oil flooding???

HELP! ! I just put .060" oil restrictors in my heads and the engine still floods oil! It takes about 4 to 5min. to start smoking while I stand there with open top valve covers and watch the oil accumulate.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45   #5 (permalink)

Wow..... Have you double checked your rocker clearances again? Like I said before I use the same Crane rockers and found them on the loose side. These are for my 452" engine but before I take out the 390 im going to install them and compare flow and clearances. I'll check some of them later and post the specs and see where your are. What kind of valve seals are you using? You can also open the drainback holes in the heads a bit. Are you using synthetic oil or dino? And what weight? Tell me more about the rocker shafts your using. How old or new and from whom did they come from? And the drain back tins are they the fingered style? Also how far does the oil go up on the springs?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57   #6 (permalink)

Went back to a stock melling M57 pump today. My rockers are new my shafts are new and are exactily the same diameter as the Ford shafts when I miked them. I am just using stock valve stem oil seals. I use 15-40 diesel oil in all my flat tappet engines because of the higher zinc content. The oil pours out the discharge orifice in the rocker arms just behind the shaft. Oil doesn't flood from the clearance between the rocker arm and the shaft. It's as if Crane has too large of an orifice in this location on these rockers. Oil comes halfway up my springs only on cyls. 4 & 8. since my engine is in at a slight angle on '67 Shelbys. We will have to see if the stock volume and pressure pump solves the problem. If not the rocker arms will have to go. I did not have the problem until I went to the high pressure pump and the Crane adj. rocker arms. The problem is that I changed both at the same time. Now I get to go back and change one at a time to find out which is causing my problem. Thanks for your help FFR428! By the way does FFR stand for Factory Five Racing??
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27   #7 (permalink)

I don't know in all cases but using 15-40 diesel oil in your gas engine is not recomended. I've tryied it and it hardend my seals and I had to replace them all. The same might be happening to your 352, the seals get hard and more oil gets passed through possibly causing your flodding. Just a suggestion...install new valve seals and use regular motor oil for gas engines, and see if that doesn't stop your excess oil flow.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28   #8 (permalink)

My apologies....428 not 352
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 18:00   #9 (permalink)

Good points on the seals KD.

Forgive the next Q but the holes in the rocker shafts are facing down right? And do you remember how many oil holes are in the rocker shafts? 8 or 16? And your running a solid cam correct? I hope you have better luck with the std volume pump. I've run the Crane rockers on a few engines. While they seem loose clearnace wise they have run good and are pretty durable. Over oiling has not been a problem. Do your drainback tins have the 3 fingers that direct the oil back into the lifter valley? Or are they that later 66 and on non fingered trays? Sometimes with the later and aftermarket intakes they have not been machined to fit the fingered drains. The new non fingered tins came out in mid 66. What's the head casting number and type of intake are you running? Stock Shelby 2x4 version?
Old 09-24-2007, 18:02   #10 (permalink)

Oh and yes FFR is Factory Five Racing. No professional affiliation just a customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech