65 Gal 390 2v questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 13:46   #1 (permalink)

65 Gal 390 2v questions

Hey guys I just picked up a '65 Galaxie 500 with a 390 2v in it. The motor runs, but seems to have some vibration around the crank area at the front of the motor. I've already pretty much accepted that I will be rebuilding the motor, but I wanted to get some insight from you guys who probably have some more experience than I do. I don't care to make this motor a fire-breather by any means, but if there are some things I can do to help improve efficiency and maybe improve gas-mileage a little bit without spending a small fortune, I'd be interested to hear about it. In the little bit of reading I've done so far online, I've found kits to convert from 2-4valve heads, and also bigger carbs (4 barrel vs 2 barrel). The car will be a cruiser, not intended to run down the dragstrip. Also, the tranny seems to be leaking some, and when i put it into gear it seems to slip a bit before it really grabs and starts to accelerate. Is this something I could fix just by doing a rebuild, or will I likely need a new tranny? Last question- in my quest for better gas mileage, I thought maybe changing the gears in the rear dif might help some, is this a good idea or no?
UnderExposedJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 19:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: 65 Gal 390 2v questions

If your transmission fluid level is down,this can cause this problem that you have.The transmission fluid level should be checked with your engine running,and let it run for a minute first.If the transmission level is low and you put some in...give it a minute before testing it out to let the fluid circulate properly.You should also fix the leak as soon as possible.If topping up the fluid level does'nt fix it,then you should get bands checked by a proffessional.Sometimes the bands can be adjusted to fix minor slipping.Ask around properly before ever taking your transmission to anyone to make sure they are honest,as some places are crook's and will tell you your transmission is shot even if it is'nt just to get the job of rebuilding it and get a heap of cash out of you.If you want a little more performance from your 390,then just by putting on a 4-barrel carburettor such as a 600 Holley vacuum secondaries with sports air-cleaner and Edelbrock Performer intake will help a bit.Also an electronic distributor is good,and if you want cheap then look for a used genuine Ford one...if you want to spend a bit more then maybe a Mallory Unilite is for you.If you get a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor then make sure it's the one with vacuum advance,and not the one with mechanical advance if it's for street use.You can also put a good exhaust in like a twin system or sports single to gain efficiency and to gain performance.if you really want to lash out,then a set of custom extractors would be great...but expect to pay.your car probably has a 3.00:1 single spin diff in it now,and I would only go to say a 3.25:1 or 3.50:1 at the most if you want to remain practical.getting a Limited Slip Diff will also help to get power to the ground better.Finally...what country are you in??United States,Canada or maybe Australia??
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech