Ford Forums banner

67fairlane(289),will390fit?

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Mercury Bill 
#1 ·
Ihave a1967 fairlane 500, original 289 auto car, rumor has it that they changed the front inner fenderwells (which are part of the body) on the gt to put the 390 in. will a 390 fit where a 289 came from? i have the c-6 for the 390. frame mounts?,manifolds?,headers?,trans crossmember?,does or has anyone done this?

#2 ·
f.e. man said:
Ihave a1967 fairlane 500, original 289 auto car, rumor has it that they changed the front inner fenderwells (which are part of the body) on the gt to put the 390 in. will a 390 fit where a 289 came from? i have the c-6 for the 390. frame mounts?,manifolds?,headers?,trans crossmember?,does or has anyone done this?
Depending where you are in the world it maybe what I know as a galaxy ,but the 390 will fit , depending it may need the mounts and member x member and maybe even box mounts , the inner guards may have the factory trim but if not a plasma will sort the clearance... if you run tubular headers then some trimming will be helpful but really is not hard .

#6 ·
f.e. man said:
sorry atec77 but a galaxy is a full size. where as the fairlane is the smaller one. like the cyclone, versus the merauder. i'm in michigan.
the galaxy here is a little bigger than our falcon , either way many of them(galaxy) came with the fe and certainly the fe will fit your car with some little work . ( I am not in the US , k?)

#8 ·
i have a 347 stroker in this car with a c-4, with 4:10 gears, the right hand ,factory 5.0 header, hits the right shock tower when it lopes at idle, you can just imagine what it does under load. the motor mounts are brand new. i guess i need to change the header design. ireally wanted to stay with all 5.0 stuff when i started this project. but now i'd like to put the f.e. in it. i have 3 f.e. powered trucks,and if the power is as awsome in the car as the truck it will be a wild ride.

#11 ·
WOW, I honestly cant believe you havent gotten an answer to this.

First of all I will post an intro soon guys.

Yes, the 390 will fit into the fairlane. Even the 6 cylinder cars share the same front ends. You will need to get the 390 motor mounts and they bolt right in. The motor mounts are three pieces on each side. You don't actually even need the gt exhaust bolt pattren if you run headers. The spring rates vary from diffrent engine sizes, but their easily changed.

DO IT!!!!! there's nothing like a Bigblock Fairlane. There too much fun, and they tip the scales between 3005lbs to 3200lbs I've had 6 of them and they have all been in this range.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.