Aftermarket Intake Manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 15:07   #1 (permalink)

Aftermarket Intake Manifold

I have a '62 T-bird with a standard 390. Just re-ringed the pistons and had the heads reconditioned. I am now to the top end and was planning all along to go to an Edelbrock Performer manifold along with an Edelbrock carb. I wanted to hear some feedback as to if this is a good idea, or if I should just stay stock with the manifold and consider an aftermarket carb. I've just never been a fan of the old Autolite Carbs....

My concerns are:

1. I read that you cannot use the oil return baffle on the rocker arm shaft. True? If so, is that OK for the motor?

2. The tapered spacer on the carb mounting area. I know it was tapered to help level the float bowls in the carb. Am I going to run into problems there?

FYI - I am simply looking to make this a good running driver car - nothing super high performance or anything.

Thanks in advance!

JB
jbarraclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 21:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Aftermarket Intake Manifold

I would have replecd the bearings prvided the crank is in good condition and it checked it for size. A new oil pump is always a good addition. As far as the intake it's fine, but the Edelbrock Carb....would be "my" last choice. Some people swear by them...I just don't see it. The Autolite from from is a very good carb, and been known to out perform a Holley.

Why can't you use the drip rails?? I don't know any reason why you can't.

If you lived in San Francisco, Your car would be at a 30-40 degree angle at all times....up the hill, down the hill........

A good running car would have a 2 bbl carb for the ever rising gas prices and still have plenty of horses when you need it.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 16:23   #3 (permalink)

JB your right on the drip trays. You have the "fingered" style trays that were used until late 66. They will interfere with the Edel intake. You can change to the later style non fingered drip trays. I'm not certain if the intake could be machined to use the fingered trays but possibly? Oem intakes were machined for those fingered style rails until mid 66.

Your 62 Bird should have come stock with a angled spacer under the carb. These were paticular to the Tbirds as the engines sit level and the FE intakes have a angled carb pad. The spacer corrected that. If your running the intake without a spacer and it's fine.....the new intake should be fine as well. But I can't remember if the Edel intakes have the carb pads flat or angled?? LOL. I have mostly oem stuff here.

As far as performance I think your oem lowriser intake is better than the Performer. I'd forget the Edel carbs and get a nice Holley or Demon. Plus you won't have the drip tray issues. If you want a better intake look to the Edel RPM. Personally I'd look for a early "352HP" aluminum intake. Those had better runners than the later 390HP/406 intakes. Or even Blue Thunder and Dove have some really nice intakes.

KD does have a good point about the lower end. Might have been wise to freshen the lower end as well. But if the engine is running good without issue you'll be fine.

G.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 13:44   #4 (permalink)

I just wanted to add that if you want to run an Edelbrock intake, the F-427 has the same design as the Police Interceptor, and will flow very well. As far as the drip rails....you really don't have to use them at all if you don't wan't to, it won't change the performance of the engine.
Old 06-19-2007, 17:22   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to say but the RPM Intake is better then the F-427 intake. Over on the Net 54 site, They did an intake dyno test and the F-427 didn't do has hot as one would think. Don't get me wrong I love my F-427. And if you get one cheap enough then run it. If not, look at others. JMO
Ford428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 19:36   #6 (permalink)

Old dogs and new tricks....you know how it is...some of us just can't seem to let go!! lol
Old 06-21-2007, 14:31   #7 (permalink)

One other thing I wanted to add....was all those Dyno tests done with the same motor and just changing the intakes??? For example if you have a stock 390 and the stock intake, it will perform exactly what it's supposed to, if you then use an RPM or F-427 on the same motor you will not have very good dyno tests, because the motor was set up for a stock intake. So when your looking for the right intake you must take into consideration what your engine is set up for. Cam size, head breathability, bore, stroke...etc. use the intake that best suits your motors peformance output.
Old 06-21-2007, 20:07   #8 (permalink)

Your right in some ways kdtrucker. But remember that some of today's intakes are better design then the yesterdays!

For example, The RPM intake has equal length runners to the plenum. A lot of the intakes do not. I'm not knocking the F-427 (because I ran one for years and love it) But there are better intakes to be had for the right application.

Just like Jay Browns test showed the "Street Master" intake being top dog. I wouldn't run one for what this guy is trying to do. A dual plane would be the best to run. JMO
Ford428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 22:50   #9 (permalink)

i have a 63 t-bird and i just put a new cam in it and i have a new carb and intake manifold...its an edelbrock performer 2105 part number and the block in the front has a dowl...the stock manifold has a notch so the dowl will go into it...the new one does not...do i grind the dowl down? can it be pulled it...whats the deal thanks again
Twister773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 13:06   #10 (permalink)

Yes grind away the dowel in the block. You can try to pull it out first but I just gring them close then file flat to the block.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech