engine build help?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)

engine build help??

hey folk...
workin on a 1964 falcon...2dr...
wonderin about an engine build...
i want a small block..but everyone says not to go 302's...cuz i was thinkin a 330 or a 347...with thoughts of turbo charging later....

n e suggestions on a good motor?
ModestSteve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 20:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: engine build help??

Whats wrong with a 302 windsor? They can go well and will cost alot less than a stroker!!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 20:31   #3 (permalink)

never heard of a 302 windsor...?
a 347 is fairly inexpensive to build itself...
Old 04-01-2006, 23:32   #4 (permalink)
BIG XR

a 351 is a classic ford motor, not to cheap to stroke, but its easy if you by a crate motor.
BIG XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:03   #5 (permalink)

both the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland won't fit as well in a 1964 Falcon as the smaller size Windsors,and would require considerable more effort and cost in my opinion.As far as converting a 302 Windsor to a 347 goes...it just depends on how fast you want to go,and how much you have to spend.I would'nt bother with a stroker kit for a 302 Windsor unless I was looking for over around 350 horsepower at the flywheel,as anything under that could be achieved on a reasonable budget without a stroker kit.
Old 04-02-2006, 14:35   #6 (permalink)

i was planning on doing an independent front suspension conversion for the falcon...and that would open up the engine bay for a caterpillar engine if i needed...its not so much that...
as just needing a good base...
i wanna build power...thats for sure...any thing i could build cheap with around 350 hp would be great cuz i plan on turbocharging it in the near future...

as far as the 302/347 goes...you can buy shortblocks for about a grand.maybe a bit more...but thats pretty inexpensive in my opinion for a stroker kit...
but still any help would be great

thanks so far
Old 04-02-2006, 17:55   #7 (permalink)

If you twin-turbo charge a 302 Windsor and run an inter-cooler you will probably get way more than enough power.if you do so,then you will have to build a low compression engine and consult with a turbo expert to figure required compression ratio and amount of boost(psi) you will be running pryor to engine build.
Old 04-02-2006, 19:29   #8 (permalink)

sounds about right...id have to consult an expert just to get one built anyhow...they offer turb and twin tubro kit for 5.0 302's but nto carb apps...
you think a fairly stock 302 with the right inards would be able to hold twin turbo's?
Old 04-02-2006, 23:12   #9 (permalink)

If you get standard 302 Windsor rods and have them resized,and shot-peened along with ARP rod bolts,plus have it all balanced...it will take a considerable amount of abuse.I would also recommend some crank work...a machine shop will give you recommendations on what to do to a stock crank to handle high performance.Hypereutectic pistons will be okay under about 500 horsepower,so go for forged if you will be above that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech