Ford Forums banner

Exhaust Manifold Question

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FFR428 
#1 ·
Well, the 64 T-Bird's 390 has an exhaust manifold leak on the right side. My question is, from the factory did they use gaskets along with the tin shields, or just the tin shields???

#2 ·
Dan, I think those steel gaskets were all that came on them for the factory. They seem to be more of a heat shield for the spark plugs than a gasket. Felpro sells a replacement set if needed. I have the Ford numbers and think the Felpro too if needed. 12-18 ft lbs was factory tq spec with the stock bolt lock tabs. And of course be sure the manifolds/heads have a nice flat surface to seal to. But no gasket other than the tins that I know of on the 64 T. My 390 in the 68 the PO just used lockwashers and they come loose often and leak. I have headers to replace them with though. Hope this helps somewhat.

#3 ·
:bowd: Thanks Glenn. What are the FelPro #'s??? It still has the original bolts with lock tabs, but they'll be replaced with a new set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.