FE 390, Head Gasket Questions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 23:31   #1 (permalink)

FE 390, Head Gasket Questions.

Hello!

I'm building my 1966 FORD FE. I have upgraded to Al Edelbrock Heads and Intake.

I have a few questions, as this is my first engine project being built.

Today I installed the heads. When I installed the Head Gaskets I noticed the word front on them. I made sure that was facing up. However, on one side of the engine the word "Front" is facing the front of the engine. The other side the word "Front" is toward the back of the engine. Still facing up. Is that okay?

Also i noticed that each of these gaskets was covering a water jacket. One side is covering the jacket in the front. The other side is covering the jacket in the back. Is this normal? Only way to uncover them is to flip the gasket around so the word front is not seen.

Lastly do the words front mean that it should be facing the "front" of the engine or does it mean that "Facing up"?
Zeshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 09:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: FE 390, Head Gasket Questions.

You want to have BOTH coolant slots open in the back and blocking the front for correct coolant flow. So in essence your putting one gasket on backwards/upside down to be correct. You'll have to change that or you'll have problems. It's normal for both front cooling passages to be blocked. Being the FE heads are not "right and left" specific castings the gasket simply blocks the front slots.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:47   #3 (permalink)

Damn I gotta tear it back down! haha Atleast its not in the car yet. They should make that clearer for newbies building engines. Thanks for the information.

Also on my intake: Instead of using the cork gaskets it came with I used Right Stuff for the front and back of the engine block. The black colored type. Anyone else do this?

When installing the Intake to Head gaskets is there a sealer I should be using? I didn't use anything. After I put it together I wondered about it. This tear down will let me go back and apply something to it.

Lastly, since I torqued everything down can I reuse my head gasket?

Thanks for you help!
Z
Old 07-19-2009, 19:24   #4 (permalink)

the head gasket has already compressed so you'll have to get another set. The intake gaskets should be able to be reused, not so recomended,.....but can be done.

A note* when you torque the intake, go through the sequence 2-3 times. You'll find that the they are not fully torqued with one go around. If you reuse the old gaskets torque to 35 ft lbs. a new set sould be 25 ft lbs.

And using "right stuff" is a great way to go, I use it all the time and never have leaks.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 22:13   #5 (permalink)

Awsome.

Can anyone recomend a good distributor? I want to upgrade the stock one. Something not to expensive but a good over all type. around 300 bucks is my budget.

I appreciate all your help! This site has been super helpful to me.

Thanks,
Z
Old 07-20-2009, 16:30   #6 (permalink)

If your talking about gaskets, fel-pro or victor are your easy to get gaskets from any auto parts store, machine shop, or speed shop. Ebay also sells gaskets.

if you plan on using metal head gaskets, then your block and your heads needs to be milled smooth and straight, or they will surely leak.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech