FE BB Questions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 19:34   #1 (permalink)
Underhood Overlord

FE BB Questions.

Okay guys/gals. I have a series of questions for you. Mind you I am extremely new to Ford buildups and performance. This is for a '72 F100. I am a former Chevy man so please, be gentle.

1. Is a 360fe a good foundation for a horsepower project?
2. What parts interchange among the FE family and what years?
3. Is there a difference in the bellhousing bolt pattern on BB Ford vs. SB Fords?
4. Are the casting numbers as critical for Ford as Chevy for finding some good performance heads?
5. How far can BB Fords be bored out?
6. Rocker arm assemblies, are the stock ones pretty good or should I eventually go aftermarket?
7. How could I convert a '72 360fe to HEI ignition, is it the same as a Chevy?
8. I like high rise intakes, but can BB Fords hold up under higher RPM?
9. CFM choice, 700cfm or bigger? Vacuum or mechanical secondaries?
10. Should I just build up a mouse motor for it instead?
11. Do I have any of this information out of proportion?

Thanks for the help in advance. Feel free to email me

later

dale
DeadFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: FE BB Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFace
Okay guys/gals. I have a series of questions for you. Mind you I am extremely new to Ford buildups and performance. This is for a '72 F100. I am a former Chevy man so please, be gentle.

1. Is a 360fe a good foundation for a horsepower project?
2. What parts interchange among the FE family and what years?
3. Is there a difference in the bellhousing bolt pattern on BB Ford vs. SB Fords?
4. Are the casting numbers as critical for Ford as Chevy for finding some good performance heads?
5. How far can BB Fords be bored out?
6. Rocker arm assemblies, are the stock ones pretty good or should I eventually go aftermarket?
7. How could I convert a '72 360fe to HEI ignition, is it the same as a Chevy?
8. I like high rise intakes, but can BB Fords hold up under higher RPM?
9. CFM choice, 700cfm or bigger? Vacuum or mechanical secondaries?
10. Should I just build up a mouse motor for it instead?
11. Do I have any of this information out of proportion?

Thanks for the help in advance. Feel free to email me

later

dale
I could take a guess at half of these questions but i'd be wrong!

Try http://www.fordfe.com

I'm stuck trying to decide what i'm going to do with an engine for my galaxie. I have a 390 in it at the moment which I so far have found out can be stroked to 410ci with a 428 crank. This was actually a factory option so pistons would be easy to come by too. Blocks/cranks/heads are all interchangable, with the exemption of the 428 block which is different.

I've not found too much evidence of FE blocks liking any serious high RPM punishment, the only really serious NA (10 second) engine I know of threw a rod out the side and now RIP. 385 series engines (429/460) seem to much easier to get going.... but still cost a fair amount when you get serious.

Bell housings are different between SB/BB, but there are some BB - SB bellhousing available to let you run a small block tranny. Pretty rare though.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2004, 22:43   #3 (permalink)

If you are going to build up a 360,try to find a copy of Car Crafts
article entitled New Math:390=428.They beefed up the motor
for a hell of a deal.

FE's can make good power but you must blueprint it very well.

A 360 is a 390 with a 352 stroke and a 390 bore.

Hope this helps.
hotrodreverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50   #4 (permalink)

FE Big Blocks ran in NASCAR for years with standard cast cranks and were good for 6500rpm in a 500 mile race, if your serious about the real "Big Block" Ford get hold of "How To Rebuild Your BIG-BLOCK FORD" from HPBooks by Steve Christ, usually pick them up at Auto Parts shops or Pitstop Books (type Pitstop into Google for contact details). 390's can be bored to 4.13" , 428 size and a 428 crank will drop straight in, standard 390 heads with the 2.34" tall inlet ports are the same as the early 427 low riser and 428 heads (slightly smaller valves, same ports) and you can fit the 428 valves for a cheap, good set of heads, these motors when fitted with an alloy inlet manifold are lighter than a Cleveland and a "385 series" 429-460 mistakenly known as a "Big Block". The crank in your FT engine will probably be a forged steel crank, unfortunately the stroke is only 3.50", 390 is 3.784" and 428 is 3.984". Oil restrictor kits are available and necessary if you intend thrashing engine, if you install stronger valve springs you will need stronger end stands for the rocker shafts, can buy complete bullet proof kits from Dove or FPP, a 428 with mild cam and head work will give you a streetable 450hp and over 500 ft lb of torque, get the book and see what you've been missing out on, Regards Frank.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
FE Big Blocks ran in NASCAR for years with standard cast cranks and were good for 6500rpm in a 500 mile race, if your serious about the real "Big Block" Ford get hold of "How To Rebuild Your BIG-BLOCK FORD" from HPBooks by Steve Christ, usually pick them up at Auto Parts shops or Pitstop Books (type Pitstop into Google for contact details). 390's can be bored to 4.13" , 428 size and a 428 crank will drop straight in, standard 390 heads with the 2.34" tall inlet ports are the same as the early 427 low riser and 428 heads (slightly smaller valves, same ports) and you can fit the 428 valves for a cheap, good set of heads, these motors when fitted with an alloy inlet manifold are lighter than a Cleveland and a "385 series" 429-460 mistakenly known as a "Big Block". The crank in your FT engine will probably be a forged steel crank, unfortunately the stroke is only 3.50", 390 is 3.784" and 428 is 3.984". Oil restrictor kits are available and necessary if you intend thrashing engine, if you install stronger valve springs you will need stronger end stands for the rocker shafts, can buy complete bullet proof kits from Dove or FPP, a 428 with mild cam and head work will give you a streetable 450hp and over 500 ft lb of torque, get the book and see what you've been missing out on, Regards Frank.
Great info, Thanks Frank!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:23   #6 (permalink)
Underhood Overlord

Thanks guys for all your info. I am definitly getting more into the whole Ford power building thing. I have built 400-500 horse chevrolet engines no sweat, but I just dont know too much about Ford engines other than the EEC-IV diagnostics, but that aint gonna apply here.lol. THanks

dale
Old 10-06-2004, 00:52   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
FE Big Blocks ran in NASCAR for years with standard cast cranks and were good for 6500rpm in a 500 mile race, if your serious about the real "Big Block" Ford get hold of "How To Rebuild Your BIG-BLOCK FORD" from HPBooks by Steve Christ, usually pick them up at Auto Parts shops or Pitstop Books (type Pitstop into Google for contact details).
that is an excellent book,it gives u all the info ull need to ever really know on building one. i rebuilt a 460 with it, no prob

Mopar products owned
1965 Chrysler New yorker
1983 Dodge Ram 250
1991 Dodge Daytona Shelby
67merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech