Ford Forums banner

FE Equals Ford Edsel???

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
Ford People, I've got a 30 year old son in the Navy and he read in a Ford article recently that FE motors were named from the Edsel years. FE Equals Ford Edsel. And thus that's where FE came from. Being 59 years old and lived the Era I just cant get it through his head that's B_S_. Help me streighten him out!!! He's a know it all...
Bill S. Near Baltimore, Md.:noNO:

#2 ·
From what I've read over the years, FE Series engine meant Ford-Edsel. The MEL Series engine meant Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln. But the MEL only was in the Edsel for 58. The FE eventually went into Mercury's. Crazy, huh???

#3 ·
Check this out ,

Ford FE engine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ford FE V8
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Also called Ford FT V8
Production 1958–1976
Predecessor Ford Y-block V8
Successor Ford 335 Cleveland V8
Ford 351 Windsor V8
Ford 385-series engine
The Ford FE engine is a Ford V8 engine used in vehicles sold in the North American market between 1958 and 1976. A related engine, the Ford FT engine, was used in medium and heavy trucks from 1964 through 1978. The FE filled the need for a medium-displacement engine created by the discontinuation of the Lincoln Y-block V8 engine. The FE joined Ford's other V8s which included a small Y-block and the big block MEL engines.

"FE" is an acronym for 'Ford-Edsel'[1]. Versions designed for use in trucks and school buses were known as "FT", an acronym for 'Ford-Truck', and differed primarily by having steel (instead of nodular iron) crankshafts, larger crank snouts and different distributors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.