Ford Forums banner

FMX behind a 400??

12K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  JG33 
G
#1 ·
i know there are a few 400 blocks that had the smallblock clevo bellhousing, but anyway just want to know if anywhere makes a bellhousing to put the FMX behind a 400?? or an adaptor or something? everyone is allways whinging and whining about the C6 being too heavy, and robbing the RWHP figures, but i have a good FMX that i would use if it was possible, (and if i get the engine as opposed to rebuilding a 351)
cheers

G
#3 ·
not really interested in buying clutches and replacing diffs..... hehehe

yeah i was actually going ro ring the rodshop tomorrow and ask, i think the FMX will handle a 400 just fine, i have never had a drama with the one that is behind the 351 now, and i have 4 others....
cheers

#4 ·
ZK 351 said:
i think the FMX will handle a 400 just fine,
They would, you know, you got me thinking, I was going the toploader path but really wanted an auto.
The C6 was the only option which I feel is a bit big for a 400 the FMX may be the way to go let me know if you find anything.

Anyone else think the FMX is a good or bad idea?

#6 ·
There is a factory bellhousing to fit an FMX to a BigBlock pattern..I have one..They would be rare here in Oz though.They do pop up occasionally on Ebay...
I am about to hook up an FMX to a 460 stroker ..
The FMX handled a supercharged clevo fine and shifted nice and solid so the B.B or for your 400 i'm sure will be fine

G
#13 ·
ah ok cool, learn a new thing every day, bet you will have more fun finding one of those than i will getting a FMX one though, LOL, if you happen to find a FMX one in your travels. or phone calls, drop me a PM :) cheers

G
#14 ·
well from my phone calls today

Rod shop
----------
$560 for an adaptor !!!!

Dellow
--------
"no dont have one, and we dont make them"
was real friendly, NOT.

Wholesale Auto Trans
---------------------
No go

Suburban Imports
-----------------
"havent seen one of those for years"
and didnt have any, and i asked if he could get one in, he said No, too old.

not very successful but yeah :)

G
#19 ·
he said around about $100USD or less for the bellhousing, plus shipping, thats the kinda thing i want to hear, but i also heard that a few went not that long ago on Ebay for $20usd or so, so yeah.....
Also the FMX bellhousing pattern is the same as the AOD box (4 speed auto from mustangs etc, OVERDRIVE yeah) just as a point of interest.

G
#22 ·
for starters they are not really called a 400M, they are just a 400, and if anything are very closely related to the clevo family, and are sometimes called a 400C,

but anyway there was only one batch of these blocks that had a smallblock bellhousing pattern, and they are usually reffered to as the 400FMX just because they are so rare to find, every single other 400 has the bigblock bellhousing pattern!!!
and the only way to put an FMX behind them is to either get an adaptor, or source a bellhousing from the US somewhere and get it shipped over, because they did make some factory Big block bellhousings for the FMX box over there..........

#24 ·
ZK 351 said:
for starters they are not really called a 400M, they are just a 400, and if anything are very closely related to the clevo family, and are sometimes called a 400C,

but anyway there was only one batch of these blocks that had a smallblock bellhousing pattern, QUOTE]

you might want to let fomoco know that they had it all wrong all this time, and they shouldnt call the tall deck clevo a 351 or 400m!

oh....and the 400 with the small block bell housing......mercury used them.

if it is a built 400, the fmx might struggle with the torque.

#25 ·
CRUSHU F150 said:
you might want to let fomoco know that they had it all wrong all this time, and they shouldnt call the tall deck clevo a 351 or 400m!

oh....and the 400 with the small block bell housing......mercury used them.

if it is a built 400, the fmx might struggle with the torque.
Ford never called the 400 a 400M OR a 400C. Go buy any Ford lit printed between late 1970 to early 1975 and you'll see that it was only ever called the 400 or 400 2V. The 400 came out in 1971 to replace the 390 in cars and station wagons. The 351M was brought out in 1975 the model year after 351C production ended in the US. The 351M was developed to replace the 360 in trucks. With the 351C out of production, Ford was using all the available 351W's in cars so the trucks needed a mid-sized V8. The cheap alternative was to destroke the 400 to 351ci and use it in trucks. Ford AU did this samething with the 351C when they built the 302C....it was a cheaper fix than importing the 302W. OBTW, the 400 did not debut in trucks until 1977 when it replaced the 390.

As for the 400FMX block, well I have one that is going in my XA Fairmont GS Coupe. It came out of a 1973 Ranchero. To the best of my research and that of dozens of other 400 owners, the 400FMX could have been bought in a Mercury. Interesting thing, of the 5 other 400FMX owners that I know, all our motors cam out of Rancheros and LTD station wagons.....no Mercs.

--J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.