Ford engine number identification - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 00:49   #1 (permalink)

Question Ford engine number identification

Hi - I've got a '67 T-Bird with an original 428ci FE block.

Two simple Questions.

(i) where is the engine number located? I gather it's on the block somewhere, just can't spot it.

(ii) is there a web-based Ford engine number decoder so I can confirm that it is what I think it is?

Cheers,

Lloyd
Freoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 21:28   #2 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Ford engine number identification

There should be an engine tag under the coil bracket, but being the age of the car its probably lost. Stamped numbers or codes are usually stamped on machined bosses on the block. There are four bosses, two on each side just below the deck surface. (top of the engine block).The date code is alphanumeric....letters and numbers....usually on the left side of the block on the front or rear boss. The date may also be on the two right bosses or any other machined surface on the block.
Also you might check www.galaxieclub.com and you might get some more info there.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00   #3 (permalink)

the Fe engines 332/352/360/390/406/410/427/(428) were right above the oil filter unless it is a block cased in mexico (so am told)now that being said,that will not tell you what size FE it is. remember the 428 was externally balanced so you can look at the flywheel /pull a plug to check the stroke /0r pull the pan an check crank #'s

AJ
ajrobbins62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 17:51   #4 (permalink)

The engine code is going to be on the passenger side behind the starter. you have to take the starter off to read the code.
Dtwnford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 20:36   #5 (permalink)

The engine cubic inch isn't stamped on the engine, although some 428's had a 428 in the casting inside one of the freeze plugs, or water jacket.

Some blocks have a "428" cast onto the floor inside the water jacket. There are two common positions to view this protruding number: one is just inside the center freeze plug hole, the other is directly beneath the long coolant slot at the rear of the block. If present, you can be sure the cylinders are thick enough to support 428 pistons, core shift permitting. If the number is not visible from either position, you'll need to make other verification checks. Measuring the gap between cylinders using a drill bit is the easiest way to determine whether your block is capable of supporting 428-sized cylinders. It is presently thought that if the shank of a 15/64" drill bit will NOT fit between the cylinders at any reachable spot in the six core holes, the cylinder will likely handle a 428 bore, core shift permitting.

"428" Casting Mark Inside Water Jacket

Now usually this is for a CJ block, but Ford did all kinds of off the wall things so you have to work to find out what you have.
You need to check the bore and stroke, check the date code under the block at the oil filter, and check the casting numberon the block, on the right side of the block towards the front. It will say somthing like, for example "C6ME-A" Ford only gave a few clues as to ID ing their engines.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:13   #6 (permalink)

5 year old thread??? LOL
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
5 year old thread??? LOL
But could help someone in the future.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 16:56   #8 (permalink)

Smile Re: Ford engine number identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
But could help someone in the future.
Ya this helped me a ton I couldn't really find anything else on this subject that was half way decent
Cjwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech