Genesis block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30   #1 (permalink)

Genesis block

Hello.´

I am currently considering imorting one of these repro Genesis Aluminium 427 blocks for a -63 Galaxie lightweight project i am about to start working on.

But since the block and parts will cost some serious cash (not to mention the shipping to Denmark and importtax) i would like to know if anyone here has any experience with these blocks??

is it a quality product??, can they take a heavy right foots abuse??
Are there any other manufactures over there??

Any input would be great
PRESIDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 16:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Genesis block

Both the Genesis and Pond blocks require some good machine work before assy. There are a few quirks and area's on each that require attention. I have a iron Genesis block and I bought it from Keith Craft. Keith knows his way around these blocks well. It's well worth the extra $500 to have the block work done before it's shipped. This is something you can save a few hundred bucks by using another vendor but can cost you much more in time and money to repair elsewhere also risking the chance of the block not being machined right. On the Genesis blocks here's a quick rundown of things.

Cam tunnel align hone and cam bearings installed.

Head decks slotted to match factory oil holes in heads. On this oil feed holes are not in the factory position and without the slot no oil will get to the heads/rockers.

Finish bore and hone cyls and hone lifter bores

Thrust bearing maincap chamfer. Without this checked and clearanced if needed the thrust bearing can fold into itself and cause the crank to bind.

#1 cam bearing clearanced for distributor. Bearing needs to be notched for the distributor to drop in.

#2 and 4 cam journals opened up to .050" to match oil passages. Factory and aftermarket cams grooves are .025" wide and need to be widened to be sure oil will pass throught to feed the heads.

It's nice to see these aftermarket blocks. But like any block everything needs to be checked well and gone through.

Hope this helps answer a few things....
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech

Related Reading: Genesis block