Help Selecting Speedo Driven Gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2006, 09:44   #1 (permalink)

Question Help Selecting Speedo Driven Gear

Me again.....

My 1973 Ford F250 camper special is running fine now, thanks. (See previous post). The issue I have now is the speedometer. It doesn't work. In my ignorance I ordered a new cable for it. When I took it in to get the rear brakes serviced, I asked the mechanic to replace the cable with the one I provided. He told me the speedometer drive gear is worn, that's why it doesn't work, and yet I still have a new cable.

He claimed I would have to disassemble the tranny to fix it. After going through the service manual, I think he was wrong. It installs from the outside and has a retainer, No?

Now the questions: A replacement is available with 6,7, or 8 teeth. Which one would have been stock in the Camper Special? How tall were the stock tires? The original rims were 16.5, it now has 16" Dodge rims. Can I get as tall a tire for the 16 inch rim as was stock on the 16.5s? And then use the stock gear? Anyone else out there using Dodge rims?

TIA everybody,

Mike
mtglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: Help Selecting Speedo Driven Gear

driven gear just comes out the side of the tranny, drive gear is on the output shaft and you have to take the tailshaft housing off to get to it(not a big deal)as long as you are 2wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech