Ford Forums banner

How to adjust rockers for hydraulic lifters?

16K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Flawebmaster 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the rockers for hydraulic setup? I had the deck on block cut down, and I'm running the anti pump up lifters. Would you adjust these like you do the chevy engines while their running. I know you run the non adjustable rockers with the hydraulics, but after the block has been cut to zero deck heighth and the anti pump up lifters, I'm going to br using the adjustable rockers. I ran the anti pump up lifters years ago in my fe mustang with a performance cam and I used the non adjustable rockers. It ren great but I was told that I should have used the adjustable rockers with these lifters. And know I'm running zero deck heighth. Nobody that I.ve talked to has any idea of adjusting rockers for hyd. Any ideas?

#2 ·
They are adjusted the same way as any hydrolic adjustable rocker. Read your manual.
Why did you go zerro deck hight ? Do you know what that means ? As your bearings
ware you could be in serious trouble. The only clearance you have before the piston
smashes the head is the gasket thickness. There is usually no adjustment for hydrolic lifters. It is built into the rocker arm. If you have adjustable rockers why don't you use
solid lifters ? The reason they told you to run adjustable rockers with anti pump ups is the anti pump up is equivalent to a solid lifter. Zerro deck hight has nothing to do with
the lifter adjustment.It's the same process.

#3 ·
I'm no expert, but I've been playing with FEs for a very long time. Running adjustable rocker arms in a Ford FE with hydraulic lifters is common. In fact, Edelbrock aluminum heads require them. Install the lifters and rockers the same way as with solid lifters. Bump the engine over with a remote starter button or a breaker bar. Adjust the intakes when the adjacent exhaust rocker is just starting to go down. Adjust the exhaust rocker when the intake valves are just starting the come up. Turn the adjuster in until the push rod starts to tighten up slightly. This is when the plunger in the lifter has just been contacted (no lash). If you put your hand on the push rod, you can feel resistance. At this point turn the adjuster 1/2 turn in and lock it down (you do have Crane locking nuts don't you?). Put oil in that puppy and fire it up. Works for me every time.:driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.