Need LOTS of advice-Wanna put a 360bb in a 4cyl mustang??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 10:32   #1 (permalink)

Need LOTS of advice-Wanna put a 360bb in a 4cyl mustang???

Hi-I need a lot of help and advice and really would appreciate knowledgable responses and PLEASE feel free to email me directly.
Please note that I am a FEMALE and tho I do drag race and have a working book type knowledge of engines I am totally dependant oh having someone else do my work $$$$ so please give me good advice!
I just picked up yet another pony car-a fox body 88 4cyl mustang which I have ambitions of making into my next little streetable strip car. I want it to get up and scoot and still hopefully be drivable on the street but if it ends up jjust a strip car thats fine with me.
For the past year Ive had an Fey truck 73, sitting in my yard-a smokey tired 360 that I cant kill with really over 340 thousand miles on it. the body is about done but that poor old motor is a work horse.
Instead of doing just another generic 302 Im serious thinking of having the 360 rebuilt and getting it into the pony. But when I look around on the net Ive yet to have found anyone who has done that (or anyone willing to do that)-maybe Im not looking in the right places. CAN IT BE DONE???? If so how much of a chop job will have to be done to the pony? Will I need a C-6 to move it???
I cant even find 360 parts on like ebay and racing junk and all those other places????? (cam etc) I like the idea of a consistant hard to kill big block esp for a drag racing application. PLEAASE ALL ADVICE OPINIONS INFORMATION WELCOMED WITH OPEN ARMS AND MAYBE A BIG HUG! CJ
TireBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: Need LOTS of advice-Wanna put a 360bb in a 4cyl mustang???

Hi CJ,

Sounds like your in the same boat as me, FE BB's are (virtually) unknown here in australia so i'm starting from scratch too!

I'm not too sure about the mods required to get an FE block into a LX mustang, but the block does sound like there is potential there. I'm looking at rebuilding my 390 at the moment, so far i'm really liking the 410ci (390 block with a 428 crank) which would actually be closer to 416ci after its bored out .030.

As far as i'm aware all the FE blocks are the same between car and trucks so you should be able to do the same thing.

Information is hard to come by, but try http://www.fordmuscle.com and http://www.fordfe.com

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2004, 00:21   #3 (permalink)

Hey welcome to the club cj. lets see trying to put a big block into a car that would normal have a SB or 4 bangor, with that you will definitly have to have custom engine mountings, as far as space, you will definitly be very tight on that. the job is entirely possible, it will just take a bit of work (thats an understatement) as far a s tranny, you will prolly need a c6, because a c4 would possibly support that engine, it would be leaning to the edge, so to be safe on that part id go with the c6. for engine parts, check out www.rockauto.com , they have the most parts i have seen for older cars and so forth. hoped to be of service. good luck!
67merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:19   #4 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

the quick answer is do a 385 series engine (429/460)
more readily available, more parts, cheaper parts, some cleveland parts, narrower than FE series.
Use a short case C6 or pony up the dollars and build up a good C4 that will hold 600ftlb and you will be fine.

http://www.formuscle.com

post the question there. there would be a few that have done it already there.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech