need ways to increase HP on my 390 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
new ford guy

need ways to increase HP on my 390

Hey its me again, i still have my 76 ford f-150 with a 390 fe engine. The mods include headers with a 3" collector, off road cam, aluminume intake, and a edelbrock carb. not sure which one though. It doesnt seem to make the power that it should. Should i go with a clutch fan? im putting 3" exhaust on soon with 2 flowmaster super 40's. What are some ways that i can gain some power. Its a 4 wheel drive and it doesnt have the kickdown cable for the transmission. What should i do?? where should i start? The engine was just rebuilt so its fresh. And another question, When it shifts from first to second, it seems like it just slams into second and sometimes third. What would cause this? I changed all the fluids and changed the transmission filter so i know thats not the problem. Need help!! Thank you and have a great day!
kyle_ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 05:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: need ways to increase HP on my 390

What heads are you using? If they are stock they need some bigger valves and port work to make the engine breath. Also some specs on your cam will help. Lift, duration etc... I would start with the heads and go from there. It sounds like everything else has been addressed but the heads if in stock trim sound the cork right now.

G.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech